Catastrophe - Series 2 Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ 22nd November 2015, 2:35 PM GMT

It was set up in episode one that we'd jumped forward a bit, yes.

Can you remember how? I watched it, and must have missed that bit.

In as much as she was giving birth again, then we saw them already with a toddler. Then in the most recent episode (4) they were talking about marking their wedding anniversary and the birth of their first.

Quote: Aaron @ 22nd November 2015, 3:58 PM GMT

In as much as she was giving birth again, then we saw them already with a toddler. Then in the most recent episode (4) they were talking about marking their wedding anniversary and the birth of their first.

As writers, have Rob & Sharon talked about why they didn't just continue the series with their first baby?

I didn't feel it was handled all that well in that first episode - it bothered me.

Quote: Lee @ 21st November 2015, 11:34 AM GMT

I'm not sure we need to follow the other American guy, I don't know if they're trying to create a Friends style 6 character lead? The best thing about the show is Rob and Sharon.

The American was the weakest storyline. Although I quite liked the man visiting the prostitute, and his ex getting proposed to.

Lots of cityscapes last night.

Good stuff though. Sharon's guilt about the possibility of returning to work earlier was great; ditto the sexual harassment case and the parental care thing.

It's a huge improvement on last week's episode. Like a filthier version of Outnumbered.

What I find interesting about the whole whizzing-forward-a-couple-of-years thing is that Rob and Sharon (the characters) have each referred back to a time when they were going through a rough patch after the birth of their first child, but it wasn't shown on screen. It might be a touch of genius on their part, as when it IS referred to, Rob and Sharon (the actors) get a chance to show off their drama chops. But was it a missed opportunity from a writing point of view to not show the characters struggling with parenthood and all its difficulties for the first time?

I really f**king love this show, anyway.

Quote: shaggy292 @ 25th November 2015, 9:28 PM GMT

What I find interesting about the whole whizzing-forward-a-couple-of-years thing is that Rob and Sharon (the characters) have each referred back to a time when they were going through a rough patch after the birth of their first child, but it wasn't shown on screen. It might be a touch of genius on their part, as when it IS referred to, Rob and Sharon (the actors) get a chance to show off their drama chops. But was it a missed opportunity from a writing point of view to not show the characters struggling with parenthood and all its difficulties for the first time?

My guess is that, as writers, they thought the situation of being first-time parents had already been done before, and/or it didn't interest/excite them as comedic territory.

I just think they could have handled the transition more smoothly, with a montage, for instance. Even stills photos would have been okay.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 25th November 2015, 9:52 PM GMT

My guess is that, as writers, they thought the situation of being first-time parents had already been done before, and/or it didn't interest/excite them as comedic territory.

I just think they could have handled the transition more smoothly, with a montage, for instance. Even stills photos would have been okay.

I agree, the slow progress through the pregnancy in S1 is a strange juxtaposition with the fast forwarding in S2.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 25th November 2015, 9:52 PM GMT

This is what I thought.

Quote: Lee @ 26th November 2015, 2:54 PM GMT

This is what I thought.

Great minds...

:D

Quote: George Kaplan @ 26th November 2015, 3:45 PM GMT

Great minds...

:D

I thought that too ;)

There's currently a Mumsnet webchat featuring Horgan and Delaney: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_live_events/2519265-Webchat-with-Catastrophes-Sharon-Horgan-and-Rob-Delaney-Tuesday-1-December-9-10pm

Is Series 1 on DVD? I finishing Series 2 on Monday - took parent-based comedy writing to a whole-new level (comedy genius). Did Delaney and Horgan jointly write the scripts?

Quote: Dave Again @ 16th December 2015, 8:49 PM GMT

Is Series 1 on DVD?

Bizarrely, no. Not yet, and not announced either.