Scrotal Recall Page 7

Hi Tom
I'm really enjoying your programme. It reminds me very much of a film I watched a while ago and I was wandering if you as well.
Also I'm not sure if I missed this but there seems to be a lot of Scottish accents in the programme, is it set in Scotland?

A Complete History of My Sexual Failures
Independent filmmaker Chris Waitt attempts to interview his ex-girlfriends to find out why they dumped him. This revealing and humourous documentary sees the slacker filmmaker go on a sexual and emotional odyssey in a desperate quest to solve his innumerable problems.

Regards
Mike

Just caught up with last week's episode and I'm still very much enjoying this.

(Especially the minute of Roy Harper singing Me and My Woman.)

@MikePhilbin

Glad you're enjoying the show. Yes, I was aware of Chris Waitt's film - it came out in the same year that I did my C4 genetics project, 'routes', the research for which gave me the basic idea for Scrotal. It was because of Chris' film, and a few others around that time, that I put the chlamydia-quest thing in a drawer for awhile. It just seemed too like well-trodden territory at the time. I only got interested in it again when I was thinking about non-linear structures for a comedy series. I mention Chris' film in the Q&A I did for Dan Owen's Media Digest: http://danowen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/interview-tom-edge-scrotal-recall.html

@JohnnyD

Thanks, and just one more to go now. Hope it works for you - do let me know.

Oh yes, and on the Scotland thing - yes, the show is set in Glasgow, but isn't focused on the city. The pilot we shot was done around London, but for the series we moved north of the border but kept our cast.

It's a great place to shoot, fantastic locations, experienced crews, and I think the cast had a good time up there too.

Thanks for that Tom. I did enjoy that film.
Oh and the title is fine as far as I'm concerned. The first clip I saw kind of hooked me anyway. I Do like the characters.
Mike.

A cracking finale tonight. Don't miss it if you've enjoyed the series so far. Surely a recommission is in the bag already? Hoping so!

Excellent series and a memorable ending!

I really want there to be a Series 2 - but only if the quality can be kept as good. Otherwise, keep it a a 6-part gem.

Well done to all involved.

Yes ended on a real high, Ep6 was superb with lots of poignant moments as well as laughs.

Really hope this gets a second series as it's one of the best British sitcoms I've seen in a long time.

Thanks Aaron, WarsawPact and StephenM - glad you enjoyed the finale. We'll very much hope to do more next year...

Well change that bloody title and even I might watch it next time.

Superbly written comedy and brilliant story to boot. Really enjoyed this.

Have to agree that the name would have put off some viewers but once you watch it that soon goes out the window.

@Tom was the park Queen's Park in Glasgow?

Thanks Craig H!

The show shot all over Glasgow and in the countryside around. I wasn't there for the whole shoot, so not sure on the exact park, but you're probably right. It's a great city to shoot in.

I'll add my voice to those hoping for a second series (there ya go Tom, recommission is assured now...), after a slightly underwhelming first episode it quickly blossomed into one of the most likeable sitcoms in recent memory.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 11th November 2014, 10:50 AM GMT

Well change that bloody title and even I might watch it next time.

I agree that the title put me off watching it. I took one look at the title and synopsis and thought "There's no way I'm watching a programme about some chav giving loads of tarty women STIs".

Perhaps this sort of vulgar, lowest-common-denominator comedy has had its day?

Quote: Basil Rathbon @ 14th November 2014, 12:33 PM GMT

I agree that the title put me off watching it. I took one look at the title and synopsis and thought "There's no way I'm watching a programme about some chav giving loads of tarty women STIs".

Perhaps this sort of vulgar, lowest-common-denominator comedy has had its day?

"Please avoid going off-topic in this forum"

The show is not what you describe and judging by your wording you still haven't watched the show and still believe that your description is accurate to the show - which it most definitely is not. It could also confuse anyone checking the thread. Your last sentence also insinuates this and could be taken as being insulting to Scrotal Recall.

But Craig, that IS the fault of the title, not the viewer's fault. A show is like a branded good, Monty Python, Dad's Army, great brand names for great products that everyone recognizes.

But if you give a good product a name no one wants to say or think of then you've risked killing your own venture by choosing a rotten name. If the name doesn't even reflect the type of product it is then it's doubly bad marketing.

I don't know if the final decision to run with it was the writer's or the prod Co's or the channel's but I think it was a v bad move especially if the show's as good as people say.