Only Fools And Horses Twitter campaign 26 million Page 3

Oh you are funny, Marc. Just a pity you're such a weirdo.

Sorry Dave but no matter how you spin it the audience did not create Only Fools and Horses, John Sullivan did and he has now sadly died.

I didn't say they did. It takes an investment from the audience, an intellectual partnership, as it were. I see you're a Wodehouse fan, from your avatar, as am I, so perhaps this will serve as an example: Stephen Fry once wrote that the reader enjoys Wodehouse all the more because there is an interaction at play between writer and reader: the reader puts on the voices to the characters etc.

Love Only Fools, not really interested in seeing new Only Fools. The show's long since done, the writer's dead, best leave it be I think.

It's called art or entertainment Dave. Of course that interaction is what The Writer creates. Coleridge and CS Lewis have said more on the matter but that is essentially it. Any 'wroughting' being done is being done by the original author and in the case of TV film theatre etc by the actors directors etc secondly. The only audience that isn't passive is at a pantomime.

Quote: Marc P @ 14th January 2014, 12:15 PM GMT

It's called art or entertainment Dave. Of course that interaction is what The Writer creates. Coleridge and CS Lewis have said more on the matter but that is essentially it. Any 'wroughting' being done is being done by the original author and in the case of TV film theatre etc by the actors directors etc secondly. The only audience that isn't passive is at a pantomime.

I don't believe that. We're always involved. We're intellectually engaged, thinking, "What would I do here?" or "I can't think how he's going to get out of this predicament!". It could even be said that all entertainment is art. An example would be the pre-credits of Mission Impossible 3, when Ethan Hunt has to decide whether to give the bad guy the information or see his wife get killed. We're engaged, caught up in this bitter dilemma, thinking: "What he's going to decide? And what would I do?"

And when you eat a meal at a restaurant you use a fork to put it in your mouth and engage with the taste and sensory sensations. Doesn't mean you cooked it.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 14th January 2014, 12:13 PM GMT

Love Only Fools, not really interested in seeing new Only Fools. The shows long since done, the writers dead, best leave it be I think.

That.

The original poster zoenel wrote in an earlier post, that the "real OFAH fans" join the Twitter camaign. I consider myself a real fan...that's why I don't want the show to be destroyed by producers, commissioners and a greedy second generation of writers who weren't involved in the original creation of the show.

I never said the audience created Only Fools and Horses (the writing credits alone would go on for ages!). An awful lot of people would understand what I mean. But as you had trouble understanding that Tessa Peake-Jones thing, despite those involved in the production confirming that she wasn't involved in it, I think you probably have difficulty understanding certain intellectual ideas. I don't know why, but then I don't know you either, so maybe it's best that I should just ignore your attempts to rile people. I try to have a serious discussion with you but you're obviously not ... to put it politely ... as others are.

Quote: Dave @ 14th January 2014, 12:37 PM GMT

But as you had trouble understanding that Tessa Peake-Jones thing, despite those involved in the production confirming that she wasn't involved in it,

He was only pulling your leg.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 14th January 2014, 12:44 PM GMT

He was only pulling your leg.

But not comically. There's definitely something not quire right about this guy.

I'm just disagreeing with you Dave. It doesn't make me a bad person.

Quote: Marc P @ 14th January 2014, 12:46 PM GMT

I'm just disagreeing with you Dave. It doesn't make me a bad person.

No, it's all the murdering what makes you a bad person.

We all definitely murdered zoenel's thread. :D

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 14th January 2014, 2:08 PM GMT

We all definitely murdered zoenel's thread. :D

We had no choice!