Newsjack - Series 10 Page 30

Quote: Richard Woolford @ 21st March 2014, 10:54 AM GMT

True it may not be mine I just thought a nazi cook show where theyre making reich crispie cakes was nt going to be too common. Shame they took out the other reciper of swas-tikka massala

Maybe food-based swastika puns are verboten. Or not very good...

My Dr Oetker Nazi Pizzas sketch last series lost the curry/fondue crossover - the Swiss Tikka.

Quote: Richard Woolford @ 21st March 2014, 8:41 AM GMT

Hmm they did use the joke but no email. If they reword a joke is it then not mine?

There was joke on last night's show "genetically modified crops are harmless, says giant tomato"

I wrote and submitted a fairly similar joke for ep 1 - which was:

"As concerns are raised that fewer crops are feeding the world, we speak to an expert on genetically modified vegetables, a giant turnip"

So you know, we do end up having similar ideas.

That said I do now want a retrospective credit

I had one last year about gm beef, great minds think alike, alot of its down to luck

I don't get it...the audience knows the puns are awful, the host does, why do they carry on with it? People's heads need to be given a firm wobble.

At what point did someone say 'let's revamp the show...and I know...cheap puns are the way to go!'

Sent both my sketches and one liners yesterday afternoon.

I'm getting earlier every week.

Best of luck with this week's submission, everyone.

Nothing from me this week, mainly because the show bears no resemblance to its original brief and I can't be arsed playing guessing games with the producers.

I agree, Andy. I've been pretty successful in the past with Newsjack but I find this one extremely difficult to write for. You'd think, given the massive change in style/tone, that they'd maybe do one of those live chat things to try a clarify what they want (or maybe they have and I missed it).
I think there's still some great stuff on there, but when I look in the rejects thread I kind of wonder how some of the gems in there are unrecorded or unbroadcast, as opposed to the stuff that makes it through. I'm still not even sure whether Romesh writes his own stuff or whether the non-comms are meant to do that, all very confusing.

I'm struggling aswell to get anything bar one liners on this series, I usually get two or three sketches on in a run. I think the show's still finding its feet a bit so it is difficult to know exactly at what angle to pitch certain stories. I'm noticing quite a few interview pieces which is odd, as that's a format we're usually told to avoid as it is so commonly used.

Despite that I do like Romesh, I think towards the end of the series it'll come together a bit more and perhaps be more apparent what we should be sending in.

Also Romesh's script is contributed to by the writers they invite in for the day, so it is still mostly non-com's getting work on which is good.

Ash,

Have you been invited into the inner circle?
You've been quiet on here and I've noticed you getting credits each week.

Well done, by the way!

Mike.

Sent two sketches! Quite happy with them, but tbh I thought my sketches last week were my funniest thus far, but they didn't get on - so maybe these are better. Let's hope so.

I only sent one sketch this week. World News - Father with 98 kids.

Quote: mikemcc @ 24th March 2014, 10:21 AM GMT

Ash,

Have you been invited into the inner circle?
You've been quiet on here and I've noticed you getting credits each week.

Well done, by the way!

Mike.

I'd been wondering the same...

They may end up hating me, since I sent a sketch that is topical and knocks the latest series of Newsjack (in a similar way to how Romesh has knocked some of the material in the first 3 weeks).

Still, I think it's funny, and could work reasonably well on radio due to FX use.

I've sent two - Andre Marriner and Pope vs. The Mafia.

I was able to spend time on these so there may be a small chance of getting in. Except I've made the Pope into a mobster, so probably not.

The pope has called the Mafia motherf**kers,
The mafia has responded, "at least we stick to the mothers"

Quote: sootyj @ 24th March 2014, 12:35 PM GMT

The pope has called the Mafia motherf**kers,
The mafia has responded, "at least we stick to the mothers"

:D

You been intercepting my email?

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 24th March 2014, 12:01 PM GMT

They may end up hating me, since I sent a sketch that is topical and knocks the latest series of Newsjack (in a similar way to how Romesh has knocked some of the material in the first 3 weeks).

Still, I think it's funny, and could work reasonably well on radio due to FX use.

I hope that gets in.