British television & its critics delude themselves Page 4

Bloody hell, Carpark's back.

Post clampsia

I don't think either Dickens or Austen were ever thought as as cheap and nasty. Populist maybe.

Quote: Tim Azure @ 2nd January 2014, 9:54 AM GMT

A myth is only really a story anyway-and there wouldn't be a Death Comes To Pemberley without Jane Austen. Dickens and Austen were derided in their own time as cheap and nasty, so you aren't really being that forward thinking, RCP...

I'm being very forward thinking and it's the ironical use of 'in their own time' that I find most telling. They wrote about life and experiences that were contemporary and topical to them, they didn't spend the day rewriting or adapting Chaucer and Shakespeare.

T.W. stated that people were deluding themselves and I have to concur, taking away the jingoistic aspect, why are people defending the never ending stream of costumed tosh produced by UK television companies?

There is a massive alienating social divide between the people who run British television and the audience who consume it. The way this country treats 'genre' TV is disgusting, where everything even slightly fantastical is immediately thrown into the childrens television category. HBO gives us Game Of Thrones, the BBC gives us Merlin.

The costumed bollocks seems to be the UK equivalent of a western.

Quote: sootyj @ 2nd January 2014, 12:44 PM GMT

The costumed bollocks seems to be the UK equivalent of a western.

Not sure about that; whenever I ask wtf is the attraction of costume drama, the response is that they like seeing all the pretty frocks.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 2nd January 2014, 12:43 PM GMT

the never ending stream of costumed tosh produced by UK television companies

Long time no see much, but pretty much anything penned by Andrew Davies is good or better. He wrote a great novel called B. Monkey a while back too. As Billy Bragg once sang: "Just because I dress like this, doesn't mean I'm going backwards."

Quote: Kenneth @ 3rd January 2014, 8:20 PM GMT

Long time no see much, but pretty much anything penned by Andrew Davies is good or better.

Hello old bean. Just looked up Andrew Davies and when it comes to television, he's 'penned' - Middlemarch, Pride And Prejudice, Moll Flanders, Dr. Zhivago, Bleak House and about a thousand other 'adaptions' of other people's work.

Much like Miles Dyson inventing Skynet and killing us all, Andrew Davies appears to be the epicentre for the top hat wearing nostalgigeddon that festoons our screens.

Quote: Kenneth @ 3rd January 2014, 8:20 PM GMT

Long time no see much, but pretty much anything penned by Andrew Davies is good or better. He wrote a great novel called B. Monkey a while back too. As Billy Bragg once sang: "Just because I dress like this, doesn't mean I'm going backwards."

I looked up B,Monkey found a trailer for the film and was bored after a minute.

Quote: sootyj @ 3rd January 2014, 9:44 PM GMT

I looked up B,Monkey found a trailer for the film and was bored after a minute.

The book is good. Clever narrative. Can't remember much, except it had a blue spine and I used to keep it behind my Wodehouses. I didn't know it had been filmed.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 3rd January 2014, 9:41 PM GMT

Just looked up Andrew Davies and when it comes to television, he's 'penned' - Middlemarch, Pride And Prejudice, Moll Flanders, Dr. Zhivago, Bleak House and about a thousand other 'adaptions' of other people's work.

Didn't he also write Game On? What a guy!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 3rd January 2014, 9:41 PM GMT

Much like Miles Dyson inventing Skynet and killing us all, Andrew Davies appears to be the epicentre for the top hat wearing nostalgigeddon that festoons our screens.

I'm blissfully ignorant of Miles Dyson and Skynet, so they aint killin' me. Andrew Davies, aside from adapting the period dramas, has created some great stuff, the best being A Very Peculiar Practice. Also Game On. And the great adaption of House of Cards (and its eventual trilogy). And Tipping the Velvet if you enjoy lesbian period drama.

Quote: Kenneth @ 4th January 2014, 7:34 PM GMT

I'm blissfully ignorant of Miles Dyson and Skynet, so they aint killin' me. Andrew Davies, aside from adapting the period dramas, has created some great stuff, the best being A Very Peculiar Practice. Also Game On. And the great adaption of House of Cards (and its eventual trilogy). And Tipping the Velvet if you enjoy lesbian period drama.

Quote: Ben @ 4th January 2014, 7:30 PM GMT

Didn't he also write Game On? What a guy!

He did write Game On (great show) but it's the bodice rippers that have proven to be his real bread and butter. I think the word prolific would be apt.

Can't put my finger on it but there is something disturbing about that last sentence.