House Of Fools - Series 1 Page 5

Loved it, but Bob is really a crap actor . . . but, don't matter . . .

So this seems to have gone down rather well, I'm looking forward to seeing what further nonsense they cook up. Nice to have such a funny show come out so early in the year.

I can't imagine for the life of me why they felt the need to saddle themselves with the sitcom format.
It's plainly not a sitcom but, as been said, a re-packaged Big Night Out etc.
I'm a huge fan - but I came away disappointed.
Just do Smell Of Reeves & Mortimer again.
That'd do me.

I think it wouldn't matter if they did a cookery show, they'd still be Vic and Bob.

Quote: Lazzard @ 15th January 2014, 9:51 AM GMT

I can't imagine for the life of me why they felt the need to saddle themselves with the sitcom format.
It's plainly not a sitcom but, as been said, a re-packaged Big Night Out etc.
I'm a huge fan - but I came away disappointed.
Just do Smell Of Reeves & Mortimer again.
That'd do me.

For a start, a channel would have to want them to do a sketch show. From what I understand, they haven't been able to get a sketch show picked up. I've certainly read them mention several times over the last few years that they wanted to.

Quote: sootyj @ 15th January 2014, 9:54 AM GMT

I think it wouldn't matter if they did a cookery show, they'd still be Vic and Bob.

Agreed.
And just like the quiz show got in the way in "Shooting Stars", and the sitcom gets in the way in "House of Fools" so the cookery would get in the way if they did a cookery show.
They are, essentially a surreal vaudeville act - and that's what they do best.
But, to put a show like BNO or SORM takes a lot of work.
And I think, at heart, they're a bit lazy, so are quite happy to spread themselves thinly over these other formats.
Which is our loss.

EDIT:
Sorry, Matthew, our posts crossed.
If that is the case, then the commissioners are barmy.
But that wouldn't be a first.

Quote: Lazzard @ 15th January 2014, 10:03 AM GMT

Agreed.
And just like the quiz show got in the way in "Shooting Stars", and the sitcom gets in the way in "House of Fools" so the cookery would get in the way if they did a cookery show.
They are, essentially a surreal vaudeville act - and that's what they do best.

Although I love all the sketch stuff, for me Catterick is possibly their finest work; a dark, weird comedy thingy.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 15th January 2014, 10:06 AM GMT

Although I love all the sketch stuff, for me Catterick is possibly their finest work; a dark, weird comedy thingy.

Yes, I forgot that.
Loved it.

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 15th January 2014, 7:21 AM GMT

Loved it, but Bob is really a crap actor . . . but, don't matter . . .

The thing is, he CAN act. He's proved it before.

I think they were going for a kind of comedy overacting, sort of pantomime stuff, and I'm not sure it worked.

Loved it, all in all, and excited to see the rest of the series. I hope they continue with that business of having each character sing a song as they come on.

I did like the singing entrances!

It wasn't particularly funny, but tolerable enough to stick with it for now.

Quote: Lee @ 15th January 2014, 1:07 PM GMT

I did like the singing entrances!

You have a way with words. ;)

Catterick was a marvel.

Star Jump.

Laughing out loud

Just watched the first episode (pilot) of this and thought it was brilliant.

Laughed more during this first episode than I did through 6 episodes of Toast of London.

More than that I had a smile on my face virtually all the time as they all seemed to be enjoying themselves so much.

Lots of quick fire jokes in there it would be easy to miss, like at the start where Vic says "Morning (Mourning) Bob" and Bob says "Why nobody has died have they?".

It reminds me a little of The Young Ones when that started, which I have to say is one of my favourite comedy shows.

Yes I know House Of Fools was silly, childish, zany, sexist, with some crude jokes, but I loved it.

I have always loved zany comedy, way back to Monty Python (and I am old enough to have seen the first Python episode on TV when it was shown for the very first time!).