80's/90's Comedy Actors You Never Hear Of Now Page 2

Arnold McTavish

Quote: Mark @ August 31, 2007, 10:45 PM

Here he is. Taken from his official website

I don't think you could say you don't hear from MFS any more though (which is what this thread is about). He was in the new series of Trevor's World of Sport on R4 very recently and the Nationwide ads earlier in the year. He does a bit of panto every year too I believe, and IMDb says he's been in two dramas this year.

Yeah, I remember the Nationwide ads he was in: They were good. Nice to hear he does panto as well. I suppose I haven't seen much of him because there aren't as many sitcoms as there were in the nineties. I have a lot of respect for him, though. Not many actors could be this familiar without having a starring role. I liken him to a modern Robert Gillespie (Keep It in the Family). He too was in practically every classic sitcom - but for him it was the seventies ones. I don't know how to paste a photo of Mr Gillespie, but if I say he was the vicar in Porridge, the copper in Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads and, perhaps most memorably of all, the gas man in Rising Damp, you'll know who I mean.

The only regular role I've seen MFS in was The Legacy of Reggie Perrin, which I got on DVD in 2005. He played Hank, Joan's boyfriend, and acted as a replacement of Tony "Great". Hank's world was "Wicked." And David "Super" was in it too, of course. Super! Wicked!

Anyway, I withdraw the good name of Michael Fenton Stevens from the "list", as it were, because like you say, he's still going strong.

Quote: Dave @ September 1, 2007, 3:10 PM

I liken him to a modern Robert Gillespie (Keep It in the Family). He too was in practically every classic sitcom - but for him it was the seventies ones. I don't know how to paste a photo of Mr Gillespie

Here you go. A photo of Robert Gillespie as Mr. Dent in Reginald Perrin:

The image that was posted here no longer exists on our server

I read somewhere that Mr Gillespie was actually French and didn't speak any English when he first arrived over here?!?

Quote: Dave @ September 1, 2007, 3:10 PM

The only regular role I've seen MFS in was The Legacy of Reggie Perrin

Michael Fenton Stevens was the priest in the first series of Nighty Night. Then again, I suppose that was only a couple of episodes. He's did have though a regular role in the kids sitcom My Dad's the Prime Minister and also obviously appeared regularly in the TV version of Trevor's World of Sport (he gave an excellent performance as Ralph I though). But, yeah, like you say very much a one episode here there and everywhere man.

Quote: Mark @ September 1, 2007, 7:53 PM

... Very much a one episode here there and everywhere man.

I like that phrase!

I did see a couple of episodes of My Dad's the Prime Minister, now I come to think of it. I found it a bit childish, in all honesty. But it was aimed at kids! The ever-brilliant Robert Bathurst's first role after Cold Feet. I loved that show! Robert Bathurst is such a good comic actor and I enjoyed his guest spots in My Family.