Your favourite decade? Page 2

The forties would have been great, because everybody involved in World War II seemed to have a great time (except obviously those that died, or were hideously maimed, or those in concentration camps, they didn't have such a great time).

Haha, I think that it was more "community spirit" and making the best of a bad situation rather than actually having a great time.

Quote: chipolata @ August 30, 2007, 10:06 AM

The forties would have been great, because everybody involved in World War II seemed to have a great time (except obviously those that died, or were hideously maimed, or those in concentration camps, they didn't have such a great time).

Laughing out loud For me the golden age of both American AND British comedy was the 50's - 60's.

well only really lived in the 90's and the 00's... mid 90's cartoons were pretty good (turles and power rangers!) besides that it was kinda boring.

I have this theory (!) that most people would say their favourite decade was the one when they were roughly between 20 and 30. That was so for me because a) I'd sort-of left home, and b) I hadn't really firmed up any particular career aspirations. From 30 until (in my case) roughly 50 (that's a 20 year sentence guys!) things get kinda serious. You gotta find some kind-of sensible job to bring in enough loot to feed the wife and kids (you don't get a lot of sympathy from anyone while you're doing it of course ("you're never here, dammit!" was a frequent refrain) ... but that's the way life goes. Fortunately, for me, when I was in my early fifties I found myself in a position (chucked out of my job with a reasonable 'handshake') where I could more-or-less pick up all my old interests without damaging the relationship with the missus or the kids. Ok ... they think I'm completely potty ... but that's rather easy to defend (I am potty, so there!). So stuff I do these days tends to involve one of three things ... I either play electric guitar or bass (very very loud since I got myself a 2-300 Watt stage rig not so long ago) paint rather off-the-wall arty stuff, which isn't going to go anywhere ... but I don't care, or try and write the ultimate something-or-other. Regarding my past 'life', it's as if I was in a coma for those twenty years ... at least from my perspective ... I just don't think about it any more!!! Today is today. Earlier this week I auditioned for a film, and I'm already lining up the next one to have a crack at ... maybe one of these will come about, maybe not ... there's still so much stuff I can potentially get into that has nothing remotely to do with that 20 year serious 'coma' time!!! This load of waffle would probably be better in the 'Average Age' thread ... but I ain't going to retype it all there!!! Now, where'd I put me glass o' red?!?

Quote: losaavedra @ September 1, 2007, 4:56 PM

So stuff I do these days tends to involve one of three things ... I either play electric guitar or bass (very very loud since I got myself a 2-300 Watt stage rig not so long ago) paint rather off-the-wall arty stuff, which isn't going to go anywhere ... but I don't care, or try and write the ultimate something-or-other.

Your life sounds ace!
That is now my new plan of what to do when I'm 50.

Hey Zooo, yes, you have to aim for the '50' not the dreaded '65' ... I keep telling my kids the same thing ... get back to what you want to do at 50 at the very latest, plan for it .. things start to creak a bit once your sixty plus ... I just put a new roof on a bit of my house ... it wasn't quite so easy as I would've done it 10 years ago ... but it's done anyway now. Just one more roof to go ... then it's non-stop rock 'n roll, writing and arty-farty endeavours for me (well, ok, I do all the cooking around here as well ... but I really love doing that too!!!).
Anyway, everyone in the meantime should have as much fun as they can possibly contrive ... we only get one crack at this life nonsense!

Quote: zooo @ September 1, 2007, 5:01 PM

Your life sounds ace!
That is now my new plan of what to do when I'm 50.

My plan of what to do when I'm 50 involves me swimming in a large pool filled not with water, but with money. My money. :)

Paper or coins?

A bit of both. Probably mostly paper though. Nice, crisp £50s.

Quote: Aaron @ September 2, 2007, 1:02 AM

A bit of both. Probably mostly paper though. Nice, crisp £50s.

Laughing out loud When you're fifty £50 will be like 5p

Yeah, well, the equivalent. Insolent child!

:D