Where to send sitcom script Page 2

Quote: sootyj @ September 2 2013, 1:58 PM BST

It's also a Catch 22.

Friday night dinner is about funny Jews people like it, fetch me more funny Jews.
Your sitcom is about funny Jews were already have Friday night dinner.

I don't think anyone is looking for a show about 'more funny Jews'. Perhaps yet another family sitcom, though.

Friday Night Dinner and Grandmas House were both very much Funny Jews sitcoms.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Something-Aint-Kosher-Here-Jewish/dp/0813532116/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378127446&sr=8-1&keywords=something+ain%27t+kosher+here

There's some very interesting stuff on how US sitcoms can be divided into "Jewish" and "Christian" reflecting cultural stylings more than anything else.

Quote: Jennie @ September 2 2013, 12:25 PM BST

But if all else fails, a well-timed blow job never hurts. ;)

Unless you are doing it wrong, of course. :D

Whilst not quite willing to offer male execs a 'blowjob' I would like it to be known that I would be prepared to dine at the bearded £3*& and eat +%££& whilst breathing through a vibrating snorkel if any lady execs want to read my sitcom.

No harridans or buckets please.

Quote: Jennie @ September 2 2013, 12:25 PM BST

But if all else fails, a well-timed blow never hurts. ;)

Unless you are doing it wrong, of course. :D

I think you need boxing lessons.

Quote: sootyj @ September 2 2013, 2:04 PM BST

Friday Night Dinner and Grandmas House were both very much Funny Jews sitcoms.

They were both about Jewish families, yes, but that isn't a 'thing' producers are actively looking for. What they were about, more importantly, were dysfunctional families.

Quote: sootyj @ September 2 2013, 3:19 PM BST

I think you need boxing lessons.

:D

I used to do kick boxing for fitness. No sparring, mind - I didn't want to actually get hurt. But there is nothing like working out your frustration on a punchbag.

I may have to take it up again.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 2 2013, 3:20 PM BST

They were both about Jewish families, yes, but that isn't a 'thing' producers are actively looking for. What they were about, more importantly, were dysfunctional families.

Not sure I agree, in every product you're looking for a unique selling point.
So Grandmas House and FND both had "north western London Jewish dysfunctional family" as a USP, ala Whesker and other writers.

Where as Bread and Royle Family has "working class, northern, comedy family"

The Inbetweeners and Coming Up, "adolesents at school." of course there's a lot more to it than that. But none of them were just schools or dysfunctional families.

Quote: sootyj @ September 2 2013, 3:26 PM BST

But none of them were just schools or dysfunctional families.

That's not what I said. Just that no producer is shouting 'I need me some more Jewish sitcom!' as a specific.

I think they do, atleast most of the feedback I get on sendng scripts is
"Mirandas big, write the next Miranda, no don't write that there already is a Miranda."

Quote: sootyj @ September 2 2013, 3:30 PM BST

I think they do, atleast most of the feedback I get on sendng scripts is
"Mirandas big, write the next Miranda, no don't write that there already is a Miranda."

That's different.

Quote: Jennie @ September 2 2013, 1:54 PM BST

That is why I said the process from the point of reading onwards is difficult. The comment you quoted is with regards to getting your script read in the first place.

Unless you've got an introduction you probably won't have anyone looking at your script who knows anything or cares a shit.

Script readers can be the most conservative and blinkered people imaginable. Whilst they can tell if you can write from one page (almost anyone can) they often have no ability to grade or judge beyond that or visualise your work.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 2 2013, 3:31 PM BST

That's different.

A variation, but close enough.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 2 2013, 3:37 PM BST

Unless you've got an introduction you probably won't have anyone looking at your script who knows anything or cares a shit.

Script readers can be the most conservative and blinkered people imaginable. Whilst they can tell if you can write from one page (almost anyone can) they often have no ability to grade or judge beyond that or visualise your work.

I'm sure you're right Godot. No point in trying, OP, you definitely won't get anywhere. Become a train driver instead.