Where to send sitcom script Page 5

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ September 2 2013, 8:41 PM BST

I have respectfully to disagree with Godot. In my experience, everyone is looking to discover the next big writer of the next big hit, because having hits makes a reputation. Whether or not they have the instinct to recognise the next big hit is something else.

I feel I shouldn't disagree with you Micheal, considering our relative positions but if execs are really looking to find these great budding talents why are they just sitting there waiting for the scripts to come to them through the usual channels?

The social make-up of the writers and performers making it (overwhelmingly oxbridge and almost entirely middle-class) suggests that access could be a limiting factor.

You would say that the social background of a writer has no influence when a script is assessed and I believe you, but they have to get the script to someone first.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ September 2 2013, 8:41 PM BST

I don't think that Shane Allen pitches safe shows (...)

He's just commissioned a second series of Count Arthur Strong as well as this:

Written by and starring Jo Scanlan and Vicki Pepperdine, co-creators of the RTS award-winning Getting On, Puppy Love is a story of love, dogs and the love of dogs. Set around The Wirral-based dog training classes run by the formidable Nana V (Jo Scanlan) - "For All Your Dogging Needs", Puppy Love follows two very different women - Nana V and Naomi Singh (Vicki Pepperdine) as they navigate their headstrong dogs, impossible teenage kids and disappointing husbands.

Doesn't sound a million miles away from the recent cut-and-shut Sue Perkins vehicle 'Heading Out'.

I note that the teenage kids are 'impossible' and the husbands are 'disappointing'. I don't think a writing team of Molliere, Evel Knievel and Frankie Boyle could put a cutting edge on that.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ September 2 2013, 9:48 PM BST

As I sit here waiting for Özul to be confirmed...
Tony Pulis is a deeply unpleasant man.

Micheal it would be an honour to have you in the BCG FF league. Do you have a fantasy team?

Quote: MCharsley @ September 3 2013, 4:08 PM BST

It is indeed, it's the cover of Nabokov's Bend Sinister, on which I wrote my dissertation (pretty badly, as it turned out).

Thanks, not read it so will go off and investigate.

Quote: MCharsley @ September 3 2013, 4:08 PM BST

It is indeed, it's the cover of Nabokov's Bend Sinister, on which I wrote my dissertation (pretty badly, as it turned out).

Interesting! I assume that Mark E Smith *borrowed* the title from Nabokov, rather than the other way round.

Quote: George Kaplan @ September 3 2013, 7:30 PM BST

Interesting! I assume that Mark E Smith *borrowed* the title from Nabokov, rather than the other way round.

I suspect he did - and got the word "Kamerad" from him too. But, of course, the phrase "Bend Sinister" existed in heraldry long before either of them used it, so perhaps they discovered in independently.

Quote: gappy @ September 3 2013, 9:45 PM BST

I suspect he did - and got the word "Kamerad" from him too. But, of course, the phrase "Bend Sinister" existed in heraldry long before either of them used it, so perhaps they discovered in independently.

Ah, yet another new nugget of information today. Thanks!

Quote: George Kaplan @ September 3 2013, 10:08 PM BST

Ah, yet another new nugget of information today. Thanks!

I'm quite good on Fall lyrics and Fighting Fantasy trivia, so line up your queries. Laughing out loud

gappy, just clicked on the link in your Profile, and will send it to my pal in Oxford who I think would be very interested in your gig on the 28th. :)

Quote: George Kaplan @ September 3 2013, 10:36 PM BST

gappy, just clicked on the link in your Profile, and will send it to my pal in Oxford who I think would be very interested in your gig on the 28th. :)

Well, that would be just wonderful, thanks - it's a pretty precarious thing putting on live music that hasn't been on the telly, so every extra customer is really appreciated. :)