Carry On At Your Convenience Page 2

I like it 'cos it's very funny.

Quote: Aaron @ 5th October 2014, 5:19 PM BST

I like it 'cos it's very funny.

Yes. :)

Spanner, of course, was "Vic" partially because of trade union leader Vic Feather who Mike Yarwood would imitate among many others. Ironically, various documents released in recent years suggest that Feather
was informing the secret services about Communist sympathisers and may even have been working for MI5.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 5th October 2014, 5:27 PM BST

Ironically, various documents released in recent years suggest that Feather
was informing the secret services about Communist sympathisers and may even have been working for MI5.

I would not surprise me if Arthur Scargill turned out to be an agent provocateur for the CIA. He might as well have been.

But this film. like many of the later Carry Ons, is the cinematic equivalent of leafing through The Sun

Quote: Tursiops @ 5th October 2014, 7:14 PM BST

I would not surprise me if Arthur Scargill turned out to be an agent provocateur for the CIA. He might as well have been.

But this film. like many of the later Carry Ons, is the cinematic equivalent of leafing through The Sun

Laughing out loud

Quote: Kenneth @ 18th August 2013, 5:39 AM BST

Yes, interesting to have a Union-bashing film. I remember a scene at the start where Sid James slaps Joan Sims on the arse and she merely looks up, smiles and says "saucy!". That pretty much encapsulates the general, narrow view of the entire Carry On oeuvre.

It depends who is slapping your arse, (in real life) if it's somebody you fancy, you can bet your 'bottom' dollar that they also fancy you, or they wouldn't bother slapping your arse, and play your cards right you can end up in bed with them.

I don't find this 'narrow', on the contrary, it's pretty liberating!

I quite like this film, but I am biased towards most vintage UK comedy.....the Carry On team have a healthy cult following, going by demand for their works on eBay.

(Still have to treat myself to the Ultimate Carry On 30-disc set, the cornerstone to any serious collection of olde-stylee UK comedy.)

Quote: Kenneth @ 18th August 2013, 5:39 AM BST

That pretty much encapsulates the general, narrow view of the entire Carry On oeuvre.

For OTT PC you can rely on the Yanks or the Aussies. :P

It was badly judged to knock the unions - and they paid for it at the box office and deservedly so. But as I'm not fanatical about such things, I think it's still good fun.

Savaged critically, but for me this is a high water mark for the series, lots of great characters and the writers can have a real blast around the rim and head right for the u-bend(sorry) with some low brow humour. Carry on Girls is in a similar vein too and all the better for it.

Quote: Knotty @ 18th February 2015, 2:03 PM GMT

It was badly judged to knock the unions - and they paid for it at the box office

Yes, a sad case of not knowing their audience.

Still one of the best films for my money, and the unions were a wholly deserving and justified target of fun.

Quote: Aaron @ 18th February 2015, 2:20 PM GMT

and the unions were a wholly deserving and justified target of fun.

Better still for that was I'm Alright Jack, one of my all time favourite films.

But it's important to remember that I'm Alright Jack absolutely ripped the stuffing out of BOTH sides, showing both as equally corrupt and self serving, so it wasn't really union bashing like Carry On At Your Convenience.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th February 2015, 3:08 PM GMT

Better still for that was I'm Alright Jack, one of my all time favourite films.

Now beautifully digitally restored and available in glorious HD on Blu-ray!

See Amazon product listing

Amazingly they haven't colourised it, and the Amazon blub says "This sequel to 'Private's Progress'". Was it? Never looked on it being that.

Thanks for that Aaron, but do have a copied live off telly and transferred to DVD, which is fine for me.

From Wikipedia:

I'm All Right Jack is a 1959 British comedy film directed and produced by John and Roy Boulting from a script by Frank Harvey, John Boulting and Alan Hackney based on the novel Private Life by Hackney. The film is a sequel to the Boultings' 1956 film Private's Progress and Ian Carmichael, Dennis Price, Richard Attenborough, Terry-Thomas and Miles Malleson reprise their characters.

Strange thing about Carry Ons, none of the participants thought that they were appearing anything wildly artistic, there were no exotic locations, and the money was allegedly peanuts, yet the kept turning up to shoot them. Could anyone who has watched any of these films actually say they hate them?