Mel Smith R.I.P. Page 3

A very funny man, but I also remember him doing an impressive straight turn in Muck and Brass, a drama series about local government corruption.

Let's not forget his Christmas classic with Kim Wilde.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 20 2013, 5:00 PM BST

Let us not forget his fine, Hancock-esque, turn in the under-rated sitcom Colin's Sandwich.

It's one I've looked for on the repeat channels. Now would be a good time. Funny guy, good actor, a natural.

By a strange and sad coincidence I'd just started rediscovering Mel Smith's work. Not The Nine O'Clock News, Alas Smith And Jones, even The Young Ones and the best episode of Filthy Rich And Catflap... There's so much to enjoy.

Only 60, a great loss to the world of comedy.

Really sad to hear of Mel Smith's passing. Alas Smith & Jones was must see TV when I was growing up and I still have an old video of them. Brilliant, original comedy which is still funny today with no need for bad language. Who can forget Scum Killer 3? RIP Mel

I also remember him in his own show, Colin's Sandwich, which was also pretty funny but didn't run for very long. I can hear the theme tune now, with a close up of Mel's eyes in the credits at the end :-)

Always remember one particular sketch with Griff in Alas Smith & Jones, where they're talking face to face, about the flower power generation:

MEL : Yeah, I was the one of the beautiful people.

GRIFF : So....what happened?

And Not The Nine O'Clock News as well. Amazing show

Quote: bob4apples @ July 21 2013, 9:17 PM BST

Always remember one particular sketch with Griff in Alas Smith & Jones, where they're talking face to face, about the flower power generation:

MEL : Yeah, I was the one of the beautiful people.

GRIFF : So....what happened?

Laughing out loud

NTNON was a brilliant show, but of course Rowan was the all out star. Certainly all four seemed to not want fame-most notably Pamela Stephenson.

The show was built as a vehicle for Rowan, IIRC.

A sad loss and a much underrated comedian writer and actor.

That said, by all accounts he'd beren ill for years, had become a bit of a recluse and even in his heyday he never looked particularly healthy.

But to go at 60? Way, way too young.

I'm not a doctor Basil, but you need to be a bit more than a recluse to be in danger of death...

Quote: Tim Azure @ July 24 2013, 12:49 PM BST

I'm not a doctor Basil, but you need to be a bit more than a recluse to be in danger of death...

No, I think the damage was done when he was "out & about" as it were....

Having spoken with my uncle, I've found out a bit more about his dealings with Mel.

Firstly, I was wrong about him attending Mel's wedding. He actually went to the wedding of a mutual friend at which Mel was the best man.

And secondly, the advert he worked on with Mel was for Wispa and also starred Peter Cook.