Mel Smith R.I.P. Page 4

My personal favourite sketch from Smith & Jones was Mel reading out the football scores. He plays it straight to begin with before eventually he gets bored and starts criticising the towns whose results he is reading out. Given that James Alexander Gordon retired just this week, had Mel been able to stick around, they could have found his perfect replacement. Great sketch and Mel Smith was a huge talent.

This is a tribute? A few words from Griff and a best of?

I was expecting more.

Quote: groovydude89 @ July 25 2013, 2:09 PM BST

And secondly, the advert he worked on with Mel was for Wispa and also starred Peter Cook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXloWbR9VnM

!!!

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 3 2013, 10:14 PM BST

This is a tribute? A few words from Griff and a best of?

I was expecting more.

It has only been two weeks. They've done the same with recent deaths such as David Croft. More substantive documentaries tend to follow a month or two later.

The best tribute would be full, complete and uncut DVD releases for:

Not The Nine O'Clock News
Alas Smith & Jones
The World According To Smith And Jones
Smith And Jones In Small Doses
Smith & Jones

Oh, it's Chris Langham...

And there we go, "it's intended that there should be a more extended tribute to Mel later in the year".

Yes, good.

I always liked Mel Smith and I do hope that a lot more of his material gets to be back on TV. They should show Wilt for a start. It's a shame they didn't make any more of the books into films starring Smith and Jones.

I'm feeling fairly sure that the character is in The Wilt Alternative. I have the book knocking around somewhere so I'll have to check, but unfortunately that's all academic now.

Another lost gem, don't even remember this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRM-otu9764

Quote: Aaron @ August 3 2013, 10:40 PM BST

And there we go, "it's intended that there should be a more extended tribute to Mel later in the year".

I'm really glad my license fee is going on all these brilliant execs and their fat pay off packages for coming out with such fiendish formulas their subordinates must adhere to - BBC Rule 102 All well loved TV artists who die are to be ignored at the time of death so they can be used as handy Christmas stocking fillers at the end of the year. Most years that should be Christmas sorted, so we can have our long holidays abroad.

Did you know that Mel Smith and Griff Rhys Jones founded TalkBack Productions? But that to aside, one of my own fav thing he ever did was National Lampoon's European Vacation as the Hotel Receptionist.

R.I.P Mel Smith.....

I liked him in that Father Christmas film back in the 90s or 80s.

Don't forget his appearance as the albino torturer in 'The Princess Bride'