10 O'Clock Live - Series 3 Page 4

Quote: Aaron @ May 2 2013, 11:15 AM BST

My word this was bad last night.

Is that why it's not on 4od yet?

Well spotted. Could very well be.

Just how bad was it? I'm waiting for it to come on 4oD too.

I kept finding myself losing track of what they were doing. Dull topics. And the guest discussion bit, wow. One of the three was an arse all the way through, and the other two seemed to be changing their positions in order to argue with each other on different minutiae examples. And they shouted and screeched. A lot.

An amusing sketch from Dan Skinner as Angelos, though.

The guest discussion bit is always awful. Because they always have such awful guests. Well, usually just one. But that's all you need to turn what could be a constructive debate into a shouting-over-each-other contest.

It's on 4oD now anyway.

Peter Stringfellow and Janet Street Porter yelping over each other about winter fuel payments... It seems the producers of this show have a real disdain for its viewers.

David Mitchell and Jimmy Carr had a few funny exchanges but apart from that it was still lacking any cutting edge. Charlie Brooker's weekly "are you even human?" response to David's rants has become a bit stale. I can't remember what Lauren did but I'm sure it was stuttery.

I don't get Lauren Laverne's presence. She's incapable of being spontaneously funny (or coherent) and adds absolutely nothing other than eye candy.

The David Mitchell segment of ten minutes of shouty pseudo-celebrities is cringeworthy.

Basically, aside from the topical stand-up segments of Jimmy Carr and Charlie Brooker's mini-Newswipe segment it's dying on its arse.

Quote: AndyGilder @ May 6 2013, 11:22 AM BST

The David Mitchell segment of ten minutes of shouty pseudo-celebrities is cringeworthy

I don't think that using Hollywood stars would necessarily create a better discussion. It's not a premiere, after all.

Quote: Tim Azure @ May 6 2013, 1:19 PM BST

I don't think that using Hollywood stars would necessarily create a better discussion. It's not a premiere, after all.

It's not the fame quota that is the problem. It's that you've got people "debating" issues who are in the main neither funny enough to deliver comedy nor clever enough to actually sustain a conversation.

It just ends up being like watching David Mitchell stare into the chimp enclosure at London Zoo while they throw their own faeces at each other.

Funnily the only section I really enjoy is the David Mitchell discussion bit, that and Charlie's rant section.

Interesting.

The latest episode was uploaded to YouTube by C4 eight hours ago, but it's yet to appear on the 4oD web site.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ May 4 2013, 6:46 PM BST

Peter Stringfellow and Janet Street Porter yelping over each other about winter fuel payments...

Please tell me you just made that up.

It was painful. And it went on for so long. At some points all four of them were shouting at the same time.

I think this show might benefit from having 4 unknown people that we don't relate to anything else we may have seen.
As long as Lauren Laverne doesn't count as unknown.

Episode three was pretty average, but the unusually large number of Lauren-gags that got a laugh was a nice surprise (loved the David rap comment).

I still can't help feeling that the show would have been best if only hosted by David and Charlie, they seem to be the only ones with genuine understanding for politics AND a great sense of humour.