Storylines Page 2

Quote: Buddy Sorrel @ April 10 2013, 2:43 PM BST

I suspect Compo wants to see his script written quickly without too much study of the nuts and bolts. The bits you're thinking of, Compo, are the jokes or the laughs....

Not So. I'm fine with the jokes and the interplay between characters etc. What I struggle with is the Journey. Once you know where you're going you can relax and think of all the funny stuff along the way.
I'm also not "just looking" for A formula. What I'm interested in is the different ways writers have planned the steps of the journey. How have they decided who does what and at what point a twist comes and when is it resolved etc etc.
Want to see this as bullet points in a list or however various writers complete this stage rather than just written as a theory. The Bit before you start to add the Jokes and dialogue?
I also realise that this, to some extent, depends on the premise of the show and the characters within.
...and not looking for a quick way to produce, I have 4 8x4 whiteboards hanging up in my living room full of Character traits, possible stories, situations and jokes and I've been working on this sit-com for at least 40mins without a break!
Phew!!
It's the nuts and bolts and cogs and molecules within the lubricant that I DO wish to examine, along with the oily rag and the blood that oozes from ones knuckles when the spanner slips!

Quote: Compo @ April 10 2013, 8:45 PM BST

Not So. I'm fine with the jokes and the interplay between characters etc. What I struggle with is the Journey. Once you know where you're going you can relax and think of all the funny stuff along the way.
I'm also not "just looking" for A formula. What I'm interested in is the different ways writers have planned the steps of the journey. How have they decided who does what and at what point a twist comes and when is it resolved etc etc.
Want to see this as bullet points in a list or however various writers complete this stage rather than just written as a theory. The Bit before you start to add the Jokes and dialogue?
I also realise that this, to some extent, depends on the premise of the show and the characters within.
...and not looking for a quick way to produce, I have 4 8x4 whiteboards hanging up in my living room full of Character traits, possible stories, situations and jokes and I've been working on this sit-com for at least 40mins without a break!
Phew!!
It's the nuts and bolts and cogs and molecules within the lubricant that I DO wish to examine, along with the oily rag and the blood that oozes from ones knuckles when the spanner slips!

I see where you are coming from mate, but if you do have 8x4 whiteboards hanging up in your living room full of Character traits, possible stories, situations and jokes, then its probably time to bust a move towards writing a first draft of an episode and see what works and what doesn't.

If it flows it flows, if it doesn't, make it!

:D :D

Quote: Nigel Ball @ April 10 2013, 11:02 PM BST

I see where you are coming from mate, but if you do have 8x4 whiteboards hanging up in your living room full of Character traits, possible stories, situations and jokes, then its probably time to bust a move towards writing a first draft of an episode and see what works and what doesn't.

If it flows it flows, if it doesn't, make it!

:D :D

I know, I know, and I do, I do, and I am I am. Was just trying to find out how other people work out that middle bit in hope of some inspiration in tackling the bit of the gig that I find most difficult.

I can't remember where I read it now but it is something I find very useful for working out your characters motivations, and therefore helping shape the journey of your script.

List each characters wants and needs. But not just their surface needs. List what each character "thinks" they want, and then write what they "really" want.

The example I read was Walt from Breaking Bad:

What he "thinks" he wants - to provide for this family/become the best meth cook in town.

What he "really" wants - respect and admiration at any cost/to be feared.

Just write a short story, Compo. That's all a sitcom episode is.

Ok, Thanks everyone, I'm going to do it, I really am, honest!!
You have all been very helpful and I hope each and every one of you gains the recognition you long for. (and the cash of course)!.

One thing before I go - I have been on many technical forums (I'm an AV producer / installer by day) and this is the only forum that has not returned a single sarcastic reply or comments on my grammar or punctuation (Grammar police!). All this from the very people who use sarcasm and grammar in their quest for whatever it may be!

Thanks!

OK, Q - the sarcasm and grammatical analysis!!.... at least I can steal the comments for my next project!

Quote: Compo @ April 12 2013, 6:29 PM BST

Ok, Thanks everyone, I'm going to do it, I really am, honest!!
You have all been very helpful and I hope each and every one of you gains the recognition you long for. (and the cash of course)!.

One thing before I go - I have been on many technical forums (I'm an AV producer / installer by day) and this is the only forum that has not returned a single sarcastic reply or comments on my grammar or punctuation (Grammar police!). All this from the very people who use sarcasm and grammar in their quest for whatever it may be!

Thanks!

OK, Q - the sarcasm and grammatical analysis!!.... at least I can steal the comments for my next project!

That's because your posts contain at least some grammar and punctuation.
This puts you in the top 5% of posters.
:)