Storylines

There are plenty of sample scripts out there along with story lines etc.
But does anyone know where I can get a sample of the "in-between" bit"?
The workings out if you like!
A list of the points a sitcom writer has listed as the steps to get from start to finish listing each twist, turn, problem, reaction, solution etc which they would then decide on the scenes for and onward to the actual dialogue.
?or is it just me trying to write this way?

I'm sure I could reverse engineer a script to reveal this information but it would be nice to see the planning that was involved before the dialogue was written and then polished as I think it may also reveal some of the reasons for certain story / character reactions etc.

Of course I could always go on a sitcom writers course but I'm 113 years old and an unruly pupil.

Thanking you all in anticipation

Compo xx

This is something sitcom writer Dan Harmon uses:

The embryo is valid!

Thanks Matt! (or would you prefer Mathew?)
That's quite helpful However it would be nice to see how this kind of thing was actually used to build a specific story with a viable finished product to view and compare.

Quote: Compo @ April 8 2013, 6:03 PM BST

That's quite helpful However it would be nice to see how this kind of thing was actually used to build a specific story with a viable finished product to view and compare.

Then watch the first three seasons of Community. Dan Harmon was the showrunner and he applied the system Matt illustrated to every episode.

There's a blog called sitcom geek, he writes in great detail about different stages of a sitcom. Can't remember his name off hand.

Quote: beaky @ April 8 2013, 8:00 PM BST

There's a blog called sitcom geek, he writes in great detail about different stages of a sitcom. Can't remember his name off hand.

James Cary

The "Having Changed" stage is perfect for hokey American sitcoms, but for us miserable bastards it's much funnier for our characters to never learn a single thing, isn't it?

Quote: MCharsley @ April 10 2013, 11:21 AM BST

The "Having Changed" stage is perfect for hokey American sitcoms, but for us miserable bastards it's much funnier for our characters to never learn a single thing, isn't it?

'Having Changed' certainly wouldn't fit all US shows. Look at Seinfeld or Curb. No learning or growth there. 'Having Learnt Nothing'

Very true.
The whole "Hero's Journey" thing is so much better suited to the American view-point.
Sadly it's being adopted by more and more gate-keepers (see what I did there) in the UK industry.

Change doesn't have to be for the better, and it doesn't have to mean a total reversal of character.

Let's check the embryo against the the Father Ted Episode, Speed 3, as it applies to Dougal:

1. Comfort
Just being a priest, doing nothing much.

2. But they want something
This seems to be the weak link in terms of the way template applies to this paticular episode. Dougal doesn't show much ambition for anything here, instead he goes along with Ted's scheme to spy on Pat Mustard until he's pulled into the story via Pat's firing.

3. Unfamiliar situation
Dougal is offered the milk man job.

4. Get what they wanted
Gets the milk man job.

5. Pay a heavy price for it
Discovers the milk float is rigged with a bomb.

6. Return to familiar situation
Escapes the float. Safe.

7. Having changed
Ambition out of the window. Happy to live the quiet life.

Quote: Lazzard @ April 10 2013, 11:38 AM BST

Very true.
The whole "Hero's Journey" thing is so much better suited to the American view-point.
Sadly it's being adopted by more and more gate-keepers (see what I did there) in the UK industry.

I can't think of many Britcoms off the top of my head which actually do it... Any examples? I'm interested.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 10 2013, 11:38 AM BST

'Having Changed' certainly wouldn't fit all US shows. Look at Seinfeld or Curb. No learning or growth there. 'Having Learnt Nothing'

True, but I did say the hokey ones!

Imagine if Basil Fawlty learned that most of his problems would be solved if he just learned a little humility. Yuck. Then again, The Office had a great ending with Brent growing a pair and standing up to Finch, Dawn giving in to what she wanted, and Gareth not changing at all - which suited the character. I suppose the American/English comparison was very general, but a character changing does seem to belong in a more sentimental series. Couldn't see it working in something like Father Ted.

And there comes Bussell to completely blow my closing submission out of the window. I'm going to ruminate on this for a while...

Quote: Compo @ April 8 2013, 2:53 PM BST

There are plenty of sample scripts out there along with story lines etc.
But does anyone know where I can get a sample of the "in-between" bit"?
The workings out if you like!
A list of the points a sitcom writer has listed as the steps to get from start to finish listing each twist, turn, problem, reaction, solution etc which they would then decide on the scenes for and onward to the actual dialogue.
?or is it just me trying to write this way?

I'm sure I could reverse engineer a script to reveal this information but it would be nice to see the planning that was involved before the dialogue was written and then polished as I think it may also reveal some of the reasons for certain story / character reactions etc.

Of course I could always go on a sitcom writers course but I'm 113 years old and an unruly pupil.

Thanking you all in anticipation

Compo xx

Its OK to have a set formula, but personally I think if you formulate too much then it becomes, Unwatchable, predictable and pompous, (A bit like everything gervais does) non of which making good viewing.

And its probably why so many sitcoms, UK or USA have the same outcome, because they all use the same kind of formula to get their characters to where they want them to be instead of letting it happen naturally.

I suspect Compo wants to see his script written quickly without too much study of the nuts and bolts. The bits you're thinking of, Compo, are the jokes or the laughs and they tend to come from bits and pieces you've set up on the way. Read a book called Elephant Bucks by Sheldon Bull of Frasier, Seinfeld and especially Newhart fame, he's got it down. The most important thing he says is that every character must enter the scene with an agenda, a reason for being there. List your characters, what they've got to do with the plots and write something funny for them to get this across. Piece of cake.

Quote: Buddy Sorrel @ April 10 2013, 2:43 PM BST

Piece of cake.

Yeah, nothing to it, really. That's why absolutely anyone can write a superb script with an absolute minimum of fuss.