My Hero: Miranda Hart On Eric Morecambe

:) Different programme for a Friday night. Nice to see comedy stars talking about their inspirations.

When is the Hugh Dennis one coming on TV?

If we knew that, it'd be in the schedule.

Quote: Aaron @ March 26 2013, 11:44 PM GMT

If we knew that, it'd be in the schedule.

Yes , but do you not have a rough estimate of when it is due to air?

Nope.

Quote: Aaron @ March 27 2013, 5:47 PM GMT

Nope.

Angry

The only thing I don't like about Miranda hart is the fact that she tries to hard at being a "ooh you are naughty" type of actor.

Taping this.

It's jolly good.

Ooh, excited now...will watch it after the Ziggy Stardust thing coming on.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ March 29 2013, 9:32 PM GMT

Taping this.

In other news, the Vietnam war is moving to a conclusion . . . .

A rather nice little tribute. I don't think there was an awful lot learned about Eric unfortunately, just a bit of background about his career and work ethic. This was - a little more than had been publicised - a documentary about Miranda Hart and how she had been influenced by Morecambe, rather than using that fact as a starting point to celebrate the comedy legend.

Somewhat annoying however, the way in which the show kept switching between talking about 'them', recognising Eric & Ernie as the balanced double act they were, and then almost brushing Ernie and his contribution to their magic and appeal out of existence.

A lovely watch, though I agree, it gave us more of an insight into Miranda herself. Nice to see the more quiet reflective side of her.
There were certainly things in there though that I'd not seen before...those blue statues, wow, hideous! I liked the way she went to the old starting places of Eric and Ernie, you could almost feel the shivers she was having and sense the atmosphere.
She obviously relates to Eric more and clearly got her biggest influence from him, but I too would have liked a bit more mention of Ernie.

Maybe they have another comedian lined up to do a show on Ernie? Possibly unlikely, but it'd be nice.

It's odd that Eric is more focused on a lot of the time, but I think that was their dynamic.

It is the way of double acts that on the whole the straight man is underrated. In the case of Morecambe and Wise, Ernie was essential, and most of the comedy came from his pretensions, with the plays what he wrote. I always found him funny in his own right. The thing is they were the perfect combo and like Laurel and Hardy although talented separately, together they were genius.