What DVD are you watching? Page 14

Great film......

The Killers

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th May 2015, 11:07 PM BST

Great film......

The Killers

I haven't seen it yet. Apparently is was intended to be the first 'made for TV' film, but ended up getting a cinema release instead.

Can't argue with a quality cast like that and a great (much underrated) director. Ronald Reagan's last film. I might watch it tomorrow. If I like it, I might buy the original 1940's version.

Just watched 'Life Itself'. Documentary about the great american film critic Roger Ebert. Very moving and interesting. One of the best film related documentaries I've seen.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 30th May 2015, 11:18 PM BST

I haven't seen it yet. Apparently is was intended to be the first 'made for TV' film, but ended up getting a cinema release instead.

Can't argue with a quality cast like that and a great (much underrated) director. Ronald Reagan's last film. I might watch it tomorrow. If I like it, I might buy the original 1940's version.

Didn't realise there was an earlier version, just checked on imdb - Burt Lancaster, well well. Lee Marvin - nasty and vicious, nuff said.

Bought the 'box set' of When The Boat Comes In from ebay.

A TV series from the early 70's starring James Bolam at his best.

It's the story of Jack Ford coming home from the first world war to the hardship of life in the north east.

A brilliantly told story that grips you from the first episode. Jack Ford (James Bolam) through cunning, wits and bravery gradually works his way up through society making many enemies along the way.

I can't stop putting another episode on.

Prometheus, a sort of prequel" Alien", which I managed to follow mostly with a couple of "what was that all about". Very good with excellent effects and very enjoyable it you are a Sci-Fi fan. Seeing Ralph Spall with an American accent amongst an American crew slightly weird.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th June 2015, 11:09 AM BST

Prometheus, a sort of prequel" Alien", which I managed to follow mostly with a couple of "what was that all about". Very good with excellent effects and very enjoyable it you are a Sci-Fi fan. Seeing Ralph Spall with an American accent amongst an American crew slightly weird.

I like some of Ridley Scott's early stuff. The Duellists is excellent (his best film IMO). But I really didn't like Prometheus.

Sometimes when a big film by a well respected director is full of plot holes, I think some people assume they must have missed something or it's their fault that they can't fully follow the plot. Well, Prometheus was full of holes. Inception is the worst offender for this.

I just watched a sci fi masterpiece (ok, that's a blatant lie):

Not good, but I loved it.

Watched How to get ahead in advertising earlier. I thought it was very good. Very funny and quite strange. It was a special feature on my blu ray of Withnail & I. Tour de force performance by Richard E Grant. I think I prefer it to Withnail.

Rio Bravo.
With the Duke,Dean Martin,Walter Brennan,Ricky Nelson and the beautiful Angie Dickinson.Definately one of my favourite films,some typical Western stuff but with light hearted moments.

https://youtu.be/v2ssbgThljU

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 12th June 2015, 1:28 AM BST

Watched How to get ahead in advertising earlier. I thought it was very good. Very funny and quite strange. It was a special feature on my blu ray of Withnail & I. Tour de force performance by Richard E Grant. I think I prefer it to Withnail.

Love Withnail. Richard's drunk was so funny and considering he is teetotal quite remarkable. Very good observation I suppose.

Inception :S

Not DVD but currently watching some great films on BBC iPlayer .

Not DVD but I did just see Mad Max Fury Road at the cinema. Once it got going it was really quite good and very much in the spirit of the previous ones.

I did spend the whole film trying to work out who was playing the main villian. He seemed familiar but I couldn't work it out. Just looked it up, it was Hugh Keays-Byrne who played 'Toecutter' in the first one. Not sure why I didn't recognize him:

Mad Max.....................................................................Mad Max:Fury Road

I cannot wait to see Fury Road.
(Although will have to until I can buy it. Have basically given up on the cinema.)

Quote: zooo @ 12th June 2015, 7:02 PM BST

I cannot wait to see Fury Road.
(Although will have to until I can buy it. Have basically given up on the cinema.)

Ditto - gave up many years ago having got fed up of being surrounded by idiots.