4Laughs alternative?

I've noticed a lot of people lately are not happy with the 4Laughs website. Mainly due to heavy moderating and annoying legal ties, acting more like nooses around your creative necks.

I was just wanting to know what your main appeal to the site was? Is it because it's linked with Channel 4? Is it the competitions? Please, let me know.

Would the idea of a new website, offering the same type of content be appealing to you? On the down-side you wouldn't have Channel 4's presence, on the up-side - you wouldn't have Channel 4's presence :P - Which would give you - more freedom to be creative and website which is heavily open to user suggestion and is maintained by it's users, creating a stronger community.

It's just at the idea stage at the moment, but here's an example - http://www.leevil.co.uk/Home.html - Please excuse the lack of formating Whistling nnocently.

Another alternative, is to merge this idea into what will become 'The British Comedy Guide' BSG's new website. Creating a more in depth version of the writers section.

Your thoughts, please.

:)

Quote: Leevil @ August 8, 2007, 9:41 PM

By the way, if you want to have a look at the ideas being thrown around and suggest some yourself go here - http://www.leevil.co.uk/forums/Blah.pl?

:)

My thoughts are Yes please.

I think the one thing that I like about 4Laughs that isn't really repeatable elsewhere is the contact and feedback from people in the industry.

I mean we can post in the critique and get feedback from other people in the same postion as us, video and audio can be uploaded on youtube, myspace, crackle ect.. these are not unique by any means the above is.

I feel that if you look in the thread about 4Laughs and why people have come on here as well, the factors are simply moderators and more people.

4Laughs does it's job well, encouraging new comedy talent.

Anyway just my opinion.

Yes, I think you are going along the right lines to create a really useful site for people who want to create a profile to showcase their work in an environment where they can get some sort of recognition for work that is admired by the majority of contributors.

If you can create that you'll have a very busy site, I reckon. But it would be a benefit if you can get a link in to some comedy professionals too. For example, would you contact production companies to see if they'd be interested in a tie-up with a site such as you describe?

Leevil - it's a great idea - but one shared with RDF media/ Warner and several other production companies who are now, somehwhat belatedly (!) migrating to 'new media' and are about to launch their own user generated comedy showcase websites. And Heavy.com has recently been give millions in funding to expand into markets outside the US. So you'd be competing against fairly heavyweight competition!

Quote: Nick Rivers @ August 8, 2007, 12:54 PM

And Heavy.com has recently been give millions in funding to expand into markets outside the US. So you'd be competing against fairly heavyweight competition!

That's about my budget as well :P

I think at first it will only exist as a small community. But the more people join and it grows, the more appealing it will be to industry insiders.

Adam used the comparison to it being like a Chortle.co.uk but for writers.

I'm glad most of you are positive on the idea and as for competition, I don't think a user-run site would have to worry, because I'm sure writers like us would sign up to both sites, which is fine.

Any thoughts on just having a more in depth version of the writers part on here (BSG)?

That would be fab - BSG seems to have a good foundation of users who are writers already and to expand on that and increase the capabilities would be great.

An idea also (if people have any contacts) would be to convince some of the smaller production companies to run competitions on here so they could find new writing for any sketch shows etc. they have been commissioned for. I could try one or two up here in Manchester. (Maybe not Baby Cow, but there are a few others.)
Or an e-mail sent to them saying 'BSG/BCG have writers, if you need sketches, run a competition on our site'

If it worked BSG would be flooded with writers. If it didn't BSG's inbox would flooded with replies saying 'bugger off'. ;)

I love 4laughs. Just get annoyed at the mods sometimes on the forums but that is not 4laughs fault. They would be glad to give out more support if only channel 4 were so tight with them. And they have offered me loads of support this past year. I'm here just cause other 4laughers hung out here and said "Come to our place for tea" and I'm still waiting for my jelly and ice cream after eating all my peas.

I think there's maybe potential audience for a simple aggregator site like Fark.com but with it linking to new comedy sketches, videos, audio from sites all over the web like 4laughs, youtube, comedy soup etc. Then we can pick the features! :)

Quote: Leevil @ August 8, 2007, 11:43 AM

I've noticed a lot of people lately are not happy with the 4Laughs website. Mainly due to heavy moderating and annoying legal ties, acting more like nooses around your creative necks.

Not to mention the website doesn't work properly... thats my 4laughs quota for the day...

Quote: ContainsNuts @ August 8, 2007, 5:06 PM

Not to mention the website doesn't work properly... thats my 4laughs quota for the day...

He he I think we're all up to date on that one mate!!!

Quote: ShoePie @ August 8, 2007, 4:13 PM

4laughs

£1 please.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ August 8, 2007, 5:06 PM

4laughs

£1 please

Hi everyone,

I don't mind the 4laughs that much, it's just heavily moderated which is annoying more than anything else.

I came across the site about two months ago and it has inspired me to start wring again after a break.

Your idea does sound good though.

I think as you quoted it Nick you have to pay the fines back Laughing out loud

I've had 2 emails from 4laughs users asking about the "other site" lol so I may be shipping over more 4laughers to the promised land.

"They're takin our jobs!!"