What are you watching on TV? Page 1,083

Quote: Griff @ January 20 2010, 10:57 PM GMT

This is why it's great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWyLaXCV2_s

Yes, dear, I know what the show looks like. ;)

That clip is very well written, but like a lot of the show, it bangs its central message over your head with heavy baseball bat. Advertising is the disparity between aspiration/idealism and real life. Hey, wow, this is the same conflict afflicting our main characters in their personal lives! Repeat this mantra every single week. I just don't find Mad Men in any way as nuanced as The Sopranos, which pursues so many more ideas than its central theme.

The clip above is very good, but it's all rather a screenwriter's masturbatory fantasy moment. :)

Quote: chipolata @ January 20 2010, 10:59 PM GMT

What dramas have visceraled you, Tim?

Oooh... Ballykissangel, Monarch Of The Glen and Rosemary & Thyme (basically The Wire, but set in a garden). Pleased

I think there are a lot of similarities between Mad Men and The Sopranos.

Quote: Griff @ January 20 2010, 11:01 PM GMT

I see him as a Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer kind of guy.

To quote Homer Simpson... "Portrait? Sounds classy..."

I much preferred Man Bites Dog, at least that had a sense of humour about the whole business.

Was actually watching a documentary about the Cromwell Street murders the other night. It featured police tapes of interviews with Fred West. Pity he killed himself because (yes, OK, he did some bad things) he was a natural comedian. :(

Quote: chipolata @ January 20 2010, 11:11 PM GMT

I think there are a lot of similarities between Mad Men and The Sopranos.

Well, Matthew Weiner and Scott Hornbacher are certainly two major ones.

The subtext leads the show too much in Mad Men. In The Sopranos it was always there, but it was kept seemingly subservient to the plot.

Quote: Griff @ January 20 2010, 11:09 PM GMT

Well you asked me why I liked it and I told you, you contrary f**ker.

:P

Quote: Griff @ January 20 2010, 11:09 PM GMT

(PS and as for the drama being a screenwriters masturbatory moment, I'll give you time to put your pants back on after that last post explaining why you were too smart to be taken in by it.)

Ooh, get her! Unimpressed :D ;)

Zip it, Griff. I've yet to watch past season 3 yet.

Quote: Griff @ January 20 2010, 11:24 PM GMT

I haven't given anything important away don't worry.

Apart from the fact there's a two-parter involving a mutiny! :P ;)

If it helps I loved Mad Men.

If it helps I loved the Mister Men.

Explored the ironic disparity between the idea that laughter is the best medicine and the reality that Mr Tickle mainly used to irritate people.

Just the first two, I've worked a bit in advertising and marketing etc and the lead reminds me a lot of myself except I have IT David's morals.

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 20 2010, 11:33 PM GMT

If it helps I loved the Mister Men.

Explored the ironic disparity between the idea that laughter is the best medicine and the reality that Mr Tickle mainly used to irritate people.

No it's not helping Tim. Comedy/Anaesthesia make a choice. :)

Quote: Griff @ January 20 2010, 10:57 PM GMT

This is why it's great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWyLaXCV2_s

That scene didn't work for me. I remember watching it in context and being underwhelmed when I knew I should have been amazed. The weakest part of the show is Don's money shots - they always splatter on the carpet for me. In three series there hasn't been a single moment where I felt Don showed his class or why Roger and Bert made him a partner. Don don't matter.

The same can't be said of Roger who delivers classic time-stopping dialogue in between shagging, puking and dying from heart attacks. He's not bad on the Ukulele either. He's the real draw for me - along with Pete's wife - who is the best looking woman I have ever seen.

Quote: Marc P @ January 20 2010, 11:37 PM GMT

No it's not helping Tim. Comedy/Anaesthesia make a choice. :)

:(

As I'm out of a job, that choice has sort of been made for me.

Out of here, to whine elsewhere. Wave

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 20 2010, 11:39 PM GMT

:(

As I'm out of a job, that choice has sort of been made for me.

Out of here, to whine elsewhere. Wave

Tim don't be silly. Just kidding,

Quote: Griff @ January 20 2010, 11:42 PM GMT

II'm an idiot who buys anything he's f**king told to by anyone.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Row-Mark-Pearson/dp/0099550873/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264031067&sr=1-12

Quote: Griff @ January 20 2010, 11:45 PM GMT

What is that, another f**king one?

:D

Pete Campbell Griff. Cooper's Bert surname. The specky twat is Harry Crane.

You've not watched it have you? And buy yourself a decent razor.