Why does anyone need religion? Page 19

Quote: sootyj @ April 24 2013, 6:27 AM BST

I think keV that's over the top its neither funny nor fair argument

And neither pingl nor pope lofty have said anything that ridiculous

I think if you're trying to be the new RCP he at least made the effort to try to be entertaining and witty

Much of the time you come across as a primary school bully

But God forgives you

I'm making a serious point through the medium of primary school bullying.

Now that's witty

But where religion stays out of politics or law other than selflessly helping the weak, then where's the harm?

Its not for me but then neithers acid jazz

With both lofty and pingl of seems to use it as a sort of emotional tool to help them cope with life.

Quote: sootyj @ April 24 2013, 6:41 AM BST

Now that's witty

But where religion stays out of politics or law other than selflessly helping the weak, then where's the harm?

Its not for me but then neithers acid jazz

With both lofty and pingl of seems to use it as a sort of emotional tool to help them cope with life.

Understand that I respect everyone's right to believe whatever they want. Freedom of thought is a fundamental, inviolable right.

That doesn't mean I have to respect the belief itself.

When people make stuff up and present it as the reality of the universe, everyone has the right to call them on it.

That may just be the language

Oh lord or lady God who might be in heaven if there is such a place

Quote: sootyj @ April 24 2013, 6:41 AM BST

Does that comment come with a pat on the head or you ruffling their hair?

So, have we come up with THE correct answer yet?

Quote: Lee @ April 24 2013, 10:24 AM BST

So, have we come up with THE correct answer yet?

We will only know THAT the moment we die

Some people think we just end, gone andthat's it

Some of us don't agree

I personally am 100% certain part of us goes on

That's just faith. I don't "think" that - I know it , theres not a shred of doubt in my mind, not a slither

If people think I'm "mental" for believing that then that's fine - I couldn't care less, their entitled to their opinion

People once said the earth was actually a big round ball and not flat and they were ridiculed and murdered

Turns out they weren't "mental" after all...

:)

Quote: Sinon @ April 24 2013, 8:55 AM BST

Does that comment come with a pat on the head or you ruffling their hair?

No but that comment comes with a wooden spoon for unsuccesful stirring

Quote: lofthouse @ April 24 2013, 10:57 AM BST

We will only know THAT the moment we die

Some people think we just end, gone andthat's it

Some of us don't agree

I personally am 100% certain part of us goes on

Which part are you 100% certain about?

Do you think it's better that this part of us goes on, or do you think it's better that we just end? I ask, because are you choosing the more favourable option, like 42 virgins because that's obviously the more desirable option or are you doing it for a genuine love of Jesus and Co? IF you knew that you were going to hell, for sure, everyone, know matter how good went to hell, if you knew this, would you still chose to follow Jesus n Friends? If everything was the same, if everything happened the way it has been told but, heaven was just internity in an itchy woolly jumpy, BUT it made your current life better, would you still want to "believe"?

I do not fear hell, bad luck, ghosts, Eskimos, Santa Clause, Tim Walker, because I know/believe they're not real and can continue with my life without those worries.

Quote: sootyj @ April 24 2013, 11:04 AM BST

No but that comment comes with a wooden spoon for unsuccesful stirring

Perhaps I should share it with you then?

Seriously! you've got the nerve to chastise someone for behaving like a 'primary school bully' and expect not to have your comment ( which is exactly the same )
picked up upon?

I was merely pointing out that you were being very patronising, because you were.
Or maybe your standards, like many of your posts, are double.

Quote: lofthouse @ April 24 2013, 10:57 AM BST

People once said the earth was actually a big round ball and not flat and they were ridiculed and murdered

Actually, while some ancient cultures thought the Earth was flat, Aristotle knew it was a sphere in 330 BC.

"The myth of the Flat Earth is the modern misconception that the prevailing cosmological view during the Middle Ages saw the Earth as flat, instead of spherical."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth

Not sure who you think was being ridiculed and murdered though, are you confusing it with Galileo's controversy? The Church was the bad guy there, of course.

I just believe there is a God out there, don't understand it, can't comprehend. I don't follow any rituals, it comes with no precepts, I suppose like the first caveman that looked at the sky and thought there might be something more than just the physical world, a God in its purest and simplest form. I cannot justify it beyond that. I just believe in god, if that's mental fair enough, I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. Especially people who claim to be open minded and resort to childish name calling, life is too short and precious to spend time justifying myself to people like that really. :D

Quote: Lee @ April 24 2013, 11:27 AM BST

Which part are you 100% certain about?

Do you think it's better that this part of us goes on, or do you think it's better that we just end? I ask, because are you choosing the more favourable option, like 42 virgins because that's obviously the more desirable option or are you doing it for a genuine love of Jesus and Co? IF you knew that you were going to hell, for sure, everyone, know matter how good went to hell, if you knew this, would you still chose to follow Jesus n Friends? If everything was the same, if everything happened the way it has been told but, heaven was just internity in an itchy woolly jumpy, BUT it made your current life better, would you still want to "believe"?

I do not fear hell, bad luck, ghosts, Eskimos, Santa Clause, Tim Walker, because I know/believe they're not real and can continue with my life without those worries.

Sorry I don't really follow most of that

My bad

But there is no hell

That's just man made crap to control and scare people

Were all Gods children and he loves us all

He doesn't punish anybody - even evil scum bags

Quote: Pingl @ April 24 2013, 11:47 AM BST

I just believe there is a God out there, don't understand it, can't comprehend. I don't follow any rituals.../

You pray though, don't you?
I'm an atheist, but I think there's something to be said for praying, as a meditation. For example, we never say 'Grace' at mealtimes, but it would be nice to pause to get into an appreciative frame mind. Gratitude is a good thing.

Quote: Nogget @ April 24 2013, 11:58 AM BST

For example, we never say 'Grace' at mealtimes, but it would be nice to pause to get into an appreciative frame mind. Gratitude is a good thing.

Abso-bloody-lutely. Gratitude and humbleness should be possible or even natural without belief or religion.