Sir Ronnie Corbett?

I have just finished Ronnie Corbett's autobiography - High Hopes. Really enjoyed it, such a lovely man, probably the last of the true vaudevillians along with Brucie. But why no knighthood? When so many no marks get honours it seems true greats don't, Eric Sykes, Milligan etc. Has he refused this honour or has it just not been offered?

Given his previous OBE and CBE I doubt he would refuse a knighthood so I think it's safe to assume that he hasn't been offered one yet.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ October 7 2012, 11:32 AM BST

Given his previous OBE and CBE I doubt he would refuse a knighthood so I think it's safe to assume that he hasn't been offered one yet.

Time he was then. Fascinating career, but obsessed with food, once sacked an agent for offering him a vesta curry. The man has style.

Would it be difficult to give the surviving member of a double act a knighthood? I think that's why Ernie Wise wasn't given one.

Quote: Tim Azure @ October 14 2012, 8:16 PM BST

Would it be difficult to give the surviving member of a double act a knighthood? I think that's why Ernie Wise wasn't given one.

Corbett and Barker were not a traditional double act, and were always careful to maintain their individual careers, so I can't see that being a problem.

At least he wouldn't have to go down on one knee when getting dubbed Sir Corbett.

Quote: Tim Azure @ October 14 2012, 8:16 PM BST

He did loads of stuff on his own as well as part of a team whereas Ernie was only really ever part of a double act.

Quote: Pingl @ October 7 2012, 11:21 AM BST

Has he refused this honour or has it just not been offered?

Does he really look like the type to refuse it? I quite like him but I'm afraid it's a big big no from me. Him getting a knighthood when the infinitely superior talent of Barker didn't would be one of the biggest blunders of the already laughably uneven and wrong looking honours system. I don't think it could survive anymore Sir Brucie type blunders.

Wasn't he caught snorting cocaine off a toilet seat. :)

No but John Conteh could tell you why if you asked him nicely.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ October 16 2012, 3:35 PM BST

Wasn't he caught snorting cocaine off a toilet seat. :)

Yes but he was set up by that Gervais bloke.

Incidentally, I recently met Rosemary Leach who was in No - That's Me Over Here! with him and she said he was lovely and so helpful in sharing the laughs.

Ronnie does standup? How can you tell?? See what I did there...

Off you go then . . . .

https://www.gov.uk/nominate-honour/nominate-someone

Quote: Oldrocker @ November 7 2012, 12:21 PM GMT

Off you go then . . . .

https://www.gov.uk/nominate-honour/nominate-someone

I've decided no one from light entertainment should get any honours anymore. I'm nominating the man who runs my local delicatessen, does a lovely bit of brie

Quote: Pingl @ November 7 2012, 2:16 PM GMT

I've decided no one from light entertainment should get any honours anymore. I'm nominating the man who runs my local delicatessen, does a lovely bit of brie

Could be a paedo as well...