The general pop/rock - music thread Page 58

Quote: Chappers @ 7th March 2014, 11:15 PM GMT

Weird how you can listen to something at different points and you get different feelings.

I bought "A New World Record" by ELO on vinyl when it came out and loved it.

A year or so ago I got it on CD, played it and was really disappointed. Just played it again and had almost the same reaction as when I first got it.

Just played "On the Third Day" too.

It's the manopause.

Quote: Chappers @ 7th March 2014, 11:15 PM GMT

Weird how you can listen to something at different points and you get different feelings.

I bought "A New World Record" by ELO on vinyl when it came out and loved it.

A year or so ago I got it on CD, played it and was really disappointed. Just played it again and had almost the same reaction as when I first got it.

Just played "On the Third Day" too.

Unfortunately I'm having a Jeff Lynne allergy for many years now but I own the Flashback box set so I admit ELO have their moments.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 9th March 2014, 1:01 AM GMT

Unfortunately I'm having a Jeff Lynne allergy for many years now but I own the Flashback box set so I admit ELO have their moments.

I think it was after Out of the Blue (and during it because it was an overblown double) that I fell out of love with them.

ELO was of course Roy Wood's brainchild but Lynne hi-jacked it.

RIP Scott Asheton. Your drumming was...raw power!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 9th March 2014, 1:01 AM GMT

Flashback box set.

Got this a few years ago and have played it loads, they're one of my favourite alltime groups.

Two interesting documentaries on BBC 4 saturday night. One about Bowie (not sure if it's the one I missed a few moths ago) and the other about Lou Reed.

Bowie one looks like an archive clip compilation. The doc I recommended was called Five Years, really excellent.

The Lou Reed one I think is decent/solid, but can't remember a lot about it, so it can't have been all that amazing.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 20th March 2014, 2:13 PM GMT

Bowie one looks like an archive clip compilation. The doc I recommended was called Five Years, really excellent.

The Lou Reed one I think is decent/solid, but can't remember a lot about it, so it can't have been all that amazing.

I will record them anyway...let's hope they're not just animal shows with "clever" titles again! The won't fool me with "Diamond Dogs" or "Venus In Furs". ;)

Quote: George Kaplan @ 20th March 2014, 2:13 PM GMT

Five Years

Oh yes, right.

The day was so grey and dull I had to lighten up my mood with a CD purchase:

aka "retail therapy". :D

You used to post lots of purchases, Gordon. Have you been cutting down, or just not telling us?

Quote: George Kaplan @ 22nd March 2014, 3:06 PM GMT

aka "retail therapy". :D

You used to post lots of purchases, Gordon. Have you been cutting down, or just not telling us?

It's the latter, I'm afraid.

Some of my more recent purchases I can remember:

Heavy on live recordings.

Grateful Dead one has the best cover and title.

Bought this earlier this week:

Highly recommended. As always nice melodies with imaginative (and mostly modern) arrangements.

On a whim, I just bought The White Stripes Live at Glastonbury 2005, which I'm listening to now, and am regretting it. The sound's not very good, and Meg White's (mercifully rare) singing's dire. Having said that, Jack White's blues guitar on Son House's Death Letter is brilliant.

He reminds me of Johnny Winter.

Quote: beaky @ 22nd March 2014, 8:28 PM GMT

On a whim, I just bought The White Stripes Live at Glastonbury 2005, which I'm listening to now, and am regretting it. The sound's not very good,

I've seen it in stores but I kept my fingers away from it because it's not a 100% official release (different label)...I was suspecting something like bad sound quality.