Maggie And Her

Starring Julia McKenzie and Irene Handl. I have never seen M&H before, but am curiouos to know if any fellow members have, and if so if they could give their thoughts and opinions

Many thanks

Yes, I'd like to know opinions on this too.

Quote: Stephen Ryder @ September 17 2012, 1:54 PM BST

Starring Julia McKenzie and Irene Handl. I have never seen M&H before, but am curiouos to know if any fellow members have, and if so if they could give their thoughts and opinions.

As I recall it was a fairly average ITV sitcom. Having said that with the comic genius and immaculate timing of Irene Handl present it was worth watching. It was pretty pedestrian, amusing but nothing special. Anything with Handl in it is worth a look; with the possible exception of' Metal Mickey' and 'The Great Rock N' Roll Swindle'.

Quote: Pingl @ September 19 2012, 10:11 AM BST

As I recall it was a fairly average ITV sitcom. Having said that with the comic genius and immaculate timing of Irene Handl present it was worth watching. It was pretty pedestrian, amusing but nothing special. Anything with Handl in it is worth a look; with the possible exception of' Metal Mickey' and 'The Great Rock N' Roll Swindle'.

Thanks for your reply. I'm a great admirer of Irene Handl's work, so like you say anything with her is definitely worth a look at. Tempted to buy series 1 just to see what it's like.

I shall watch Series 1 today and report back...

Quote: Stephen Ryder @ September 19 2012, 12:31 PM BST

I'm a great admirer of Irene Handl's work

By the way I was listening to some of the sketches Irene Handl did with Peter Sellers on his records the other day. She wrote them as well. They are well worth a listen.

Well Stephen, I'm only a few episodes in so far, but given your newfound love of For The Love Of Ada I would highly recommend Maggie And Her. It's slightly more of a traditional sitcom than the gentle-laugh charm of Ada but Handl affords it much the same overall air and I'd be very surprised if you like one and not the other.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/20122352/Maggie-And-Her-The-Complete-Series-1/Product.html]
[h=110583]

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/2505/1772/-/29334707/Maggie-And-Her-Series-2/Product.html]
[h=568144]

Cheers Aaron. Was waiting to hear what you had to say before making a purchase.

Think I will go ahead and order series 1.

I love Maggie and Her, it's one of my most watched DVDs.

It's just a nice lovely comedy that has some interesting characters and a nice back story.

Don't expect massive belly laughs but a comedy that can be watched under a blanket with a brew to make you chuckle.

Quote: Pingl @ September 19 2012, 10:11 AM BST

As I recall it was a fairly average ITV sitcom. Having said that with the comic genius and immaculate timing of Irene Handl present it was worth watching. It was pretty pedestrian, amusing but nothing special.

Having now seen the first series, I agree with your comments. There were certain elements of Mrs P character that were not to dissimilar of Ada Bingley.

For me yet again, it's Irene Handl who shines in Maggie And Her just as she did in For The Love Of Ada.

I found it pretty good. Irene Handl steals the show in whatever she's in and she does it here as well. Not a classic, but a nice warm sitcom with some very good moments in it. Julia McKenzie is good in this as well, but ain't as good as Handl IMO.