Inside No. 9 - Series 1 Page 12

Quote: Ben @ 12th March 2014, 10:41 PM GMT

I really liked this episode up until the ending. It felt like the whole story was going to be thrown on its head by some genius twist, but then it just ended.

This, although it was a good yarn.

I wish the episodes had been an hour each.

Very dark and laugh out loud in places (Michael Jackson and f**k off moments particularly). Great finale.

Quote: kasabian19 @ 12th March 2014, 10:45 PM GMT

Very dark and laugh out loud in places (Michael Jackson and f**k off moments particularly). Great finale.

They both made me laugh out loud n'all.

Anyone seen the Inventors yet? A bit weird!

Quote: zooo @ 12th March 2014, 10:43 PM GMT

Oh god, the inevitable request of an essay defending my opinion.

I just enjoyed it. I like it best when the Gents do horror with a splash of comedy rather than the other way around. (Actually I like it both ways, but was waiting for the horror episode.)

Just interested is all.

I felt there wasn't a twist and the humour kept breaking the tension because it felt like it wasn't taking itself seriously.
That and the whole mcguffin seemed to be given away at the halfway point.

http://www.insideno9extra.co.uk/

Quote: zooo @ 12th March 2014, 10:33 PM GMT

The last one was my favourite. Although I wish it had been film length.

I wish this had been film length also. It had lots of atmosphere, suspense and creepy moments. So many nice touches - the bell, the cat, the stair lift, the painting that looked like the girl, getting betrayed by her friend and they didn't shy away from showing us the monster.

The ending was a non-event though and when the credits flashed up on screen, it was a real 'huh?' moment. The surprise twist for the last episode of a series full of surprise twists was no surprise twist - here's something that's not a twist, I thought the ending sucked.

Best line: 'It's like giving birth', 'But in reverse'.

I thought the relationship between the girls was really sweet and funny and a great starting point for some real horror.

It's ok to say you didn't like it if you didn't. They are fantastic writers and the series on a whole has been wonderful but I felt this was a bit of a non-event. It was mainly trying to be a horror and comedy didn't blend as well.

As a horror, the thing that kinda annoyed me was why were they all pretending all of the time? It seemed quite early on that they had decided she was 'the one' so why keep up the pretence? It's not like they had to get her into the room as she ran downstairs afterwards anyway and her friend had to get her. And no twist just left it feeling a bit flat.

I can't wait for series two, though. The first two eps stood out for me.

Well they went out on a high with that episode.

These guys really know their horror, parts of ep 6 had me genuinely scared. The jokes at first felt a bit jarring alongside the bleak storyline but it soon started to gel. I agree with others who said they wished this was feature length, of all the Inside No. 9 eps I think this one had the most yarn to spin.

I didn't mind the ending. Most people would have expected the girl to be saved but it just ended with that deranged nappy wearing creature about to possess her. It's the grim and uncompromising stuff these guys excel at.

Not enough Reece in this for me but it was fantastically creepy. I didn't see the friend switch coming and they built the tension really well. I think it would have worked even better if it had be a straight horror, and agree feature length would have been just right for this.
I thought something unexpected would happen as the demon hobbled towards her at the end so was a bit 'what?' when nothing did but then again it's not every day you see a cloven foot demon demanding the soul of a schoolgirl tied to a chair in her underwear.

Favourite episode is still the sardines one, followed by the silent, then the hobo one, then theatre one, last night's and last but not least the dead celeb one.

Quote: Aaron @ 12th March 2014, 10:42 PM GMT

Great finale. That was the stand-out best for the dark/creepiness, with Episode 1 top for story and Episode 2 way, way out in front for comedy.

You just read my email to my son? That's exactly what I was going to say.

Agree with you 100%.

I think the first three episodes were my favourites. The second three didn't seem so strong. The final episode was very good, but I felt let down by the ending.

I liked the ending - the best twist is to not provide a twist when everyone's expecting a twist. And the pleasure was guessing whether there really was a demon, or whether it was just a poor invalid whose mind had been shot away by being kept prisoner by his deranged siblings.

Admittedly, it didn't make sense to do all the stuff with the cat and the bell and so on...but, who cares?