Has PC ruined the British Sitcom? Page 2

bollocks

Quote: chipolata @ July 13, 2007, 9:47 AM

I think blaming PC attitudes for all the ills of the world, including lamentable comedies, is just lazy Dail Mail esque thinking. Are people who proclaim to like un-PC humour really sad that we can't have jokes about pakkis, coons, kikes and towel heads? Would the average British comedy really be made better if we had some of the characters mocking people with Downs Syndrome?

Well said :)

Quote: chipolata @ July 13, 2007, 9:47 AM

I think blaming PC attitudes for all the ills of the world, including lamentable comedies, is just lazy Dail Mail esque thinking. Are people who proclaim to like un-PC humour really sad that we can't have jokes about pakkis, coons, kikes and towel heads? Would the average British comedy really be made better if we had some of the characters mocking people with Downs Syndrome?

Yeah, but there's un-PC and there's just plain insulting. Increasingly, I think what we see is just that bit too "safe", because commissioners, editors, controllers etc. are far too worried about some pillock who only watches the five seconds of the show that the joke/phrase/statement/whatever is in, completely misunderstands it and the context, and complains. Luckily Channel Five stood up to the pressure group last year who bleated about Respectable before even seeing it, and then refused to watch the show, consequently thoroughly missing the whole point. We need a bit more of that from the powers-that-be.

Quote: Wildjesusfishkid @ July 13, 2007, 9:48 AM

bollocks

Great contribution to the debate... well done!

That argument must have took some time to formulate!

;-)

Quote: Aaron @ July 13, 2007, 10:59 AM

Yeah, but there's un-PC and there's just plain insulting. Increasingly, I think what we see is just that bit too "safe", because commissioners, editors, controllers etc. are far too worried about some pillock who only watches the five seconds of the show that the joke/phrase/statement/whatever is in, completely misunderstands it and the context, and complains. Luckily Channel Five stood up to the pressure group last year who bleated about Respectable before even seeing it, and then refused to watch the show, consequently thoroughly missing the whole point. We need a bit more of that from the powers-that-be.

You have hit the nail on the head there. Just because someone complains doesn't mean they have to censor a show or an artist. Perhaps those complaining just need to be acknowledged:

"Yes, thank you for your complaint, which we have received and noted with interest. Sorry you were upset by the show, thanks for letting us know".

It wouldn't cost much and of course there'd be no need to include a couple of free tickets...

I think that kind of apology should suffice. If I complain that Catherine Tate insults my intelligence with her over-acting and pathetic attempts to be funny, will they take her show off. Unfortunately not.

There have been some great comedy shows that did not rely heavily on un-pc comedy so I don't think that you can say that the pc correct brigade have ruined british comedy.

Well you can say it and subjectively you may be right!

;)

Quote: Frankie Rage @ July 13, 2007, 11:43 AM

Great contribution to the debate... well done!

That argument must have took some time to formulate!

;-)

Right, I'm a little bit pissed off with that comment. This is a comedy website concerning itself with sitcoms and written comedy for critique. This is not aa comedic argument. It's a political one. I suggest if you want to have this type of argument that you go to one of the many political forums to vent your teenage angst. Don't vent it on me.

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 13, 2007, 8:03 AM

No I don't mean it like that, that is obviously wrong in this day and age. I'm talking about shows like: Are you Being Served, On the Buses and It Aint Half Hot Mum. Also, I think Johnny Speight's Till Death us do Part needs repeating again as I think it is one of Britain's best sitcoms. Speight was making fun of Garnett, showing this stupid man with his half thought up opinions. True in the early shows there was some material difficult to defend, but watching a DVD, I found some episodes extremely watchable and enjoyable.

I know what you meant and I agree, I was just joshing :)

WJFK.

I always add the Baggy before the word Bollox. (Spelt wrong on purpose)

So

Baggy Bollox is my fav. saying. Ever.

Angelic

I think sitcoms had to adjust e.g Rising Damp wouldn't work today because most people aren't racist anymore and landlords are legally not allowed to harass their tennants in that manner. Also something like Some Like It Hot with all its campness seems a little tame, because of comedians like Graham Norton and Julian Cleary, so is less pioneering and cutting edge these days. And before people start criticisng the last sentance I mean it was one of the first shows to have 'gay' characters as lead even if they were caricatures.

Ever since I owned one and started writing, I think my PC has contributed to ruining the British sitcom.
:)

I don't think the PC argument comes anywhere near racism, btw. Racism is hideous but you can be un-PC and not racist. In some circumstances you can be racist and at the same time PC. Just look at the unequal weighting of recruitment that some companies operate for an example of that.

PC is an almost mindnumbing over-compensation towards groups who can think for themselves and are adult enough to not need silly people redefining phrases and nursery rhymes. Some days I don't know whether 'black' or 'coloured' is the acceptable word, sometimes I don't think anyone else knows. Any word given the right invective and inflection can be offensive, what matters is not the word but the intent of the speaker to harm or otherwise.

When it gets to the point of rewriting history, PC is perhaps guilty of committing a crime. They say no one learns from the mistakes of history, but is it any wonder when they keep rewriting the bloody thing?

I think I agree with you Slag, originally designed to empower minorities these days it seems to be used to patronise them. Most minorites are organised and are able to protest themselves, its the 'middle men' that jump in on behalf of those minorities I think everyone hates.

I think a very sad thing is that say you take the classic sitcom Rising Damp. In about 20 years time I think that it won't be repeated as it will be seen as being un PC. Maybe in 20 years time Little Britain will be seen as being not very PC as say the Marjorie Dawes charactor towards Meera and Ting Tong Macka Ding Dong. It may seem quite funny now, but to a new generation who knows, it may seem offensive

Quote: Wildjesusfishkid @ July 13, 2007, 9:48 AM

bollocks

Carol Vordermann had better watch out with all these intellectuals on this website.

Quote: SlagA @ July 13, 2007, 3:57 PM

Ever since I owned one and started writing, I think my PC has contributed to ruining the British sitcom.
:)

I don't think the PC argument comes anywhere near racism, btw. Racism is hideous but you can be un-PC and not racist. In some circumstances you can be racist and at the same time PC. Just look at the unequal weighting of recruitment that some companies operate for an example of that.

PC is an almost mindnumbing over-compensation towards groups who can think for themselves and are adult enough to not need silly people redefining phrases and nursery rhymes. Some days I don't know whether 'black' or 'coloured' is the acceptable word, sometimes I don't think anyone else knows. Any word given the right invective and inflection can be offensive, what matters is not the word but the intent of the speaker to harm or otherwise.

When it gets to the point of rewriting history, PC is perhaps guilty of committing a crime. They say no one learns from the mistakes of history, but is it any wonder when they keep rewriting the bloody thing?

You've said nothing about what political correctness has done to affect the British Sitcom, other than we don't repeat a lot of old shows - "rewriting history". Maybe that's partly to do with them being dated and offensive, but maybe it's equally possible that playing repeats of old shows all day isn't a good use of TV time. Besides, these so-called "censored" series are all over the HMV shelves in neat little box sets, available for anyone to buy.

This is driving into an already deep tangent, but I don't think the words "black" or "coloured" are offensive terms. It's true what you say about using words with the right 'invective or inflection' can make them aggressive, but what has that got to do with making derogatory words like "coon" and "nigger" unacceptable in daily use? Are you suggesting that it's not even worth *trying* to make the world a more civil place just because people will always use language in a hateful way? If you know you're not a racist then you shouldn't be worried about such perceived confusions.

At a company I used to work for they had a room with 'Brainstorming Room' stenciled on the door. They got it changed at great expense to 'Thought Shower Room' (or something ridiculous like that) because someone pointed out 'Brainstorming' might offend those with mental disabilities. That's PC gone mad!

I don't think political correctness has ruined the modern British comedy scene. There's still plenty of comedies and comedians that totally ignore the 'PC conventions'. Ricky Ger*** (I won't mention his full name in case it breaks out into another argument) has made a career out of sailing close to the edge with his tongue in cheek.

That said, I take the point that political correctness has ruined some sitcoms - All About Me being the prime example. They tried to cram so many PC friendly ideas into that one sitcom (adoption, mixed race marriage, disability etc etc) it was just vomit inducing.

I do find Ting Tong offensive. But I know that Lucas & Walliams aren't the least bit racist. I'm not really sure what they're aiming at with that character.

Quote: zooo @ July 13, 2007, 6:20 PM

I do find Ting Tong offensive. But I know that Lucas & Walliams aren't the least bit racist. I'm not really sure what they're aiming at with that character.

Without gags about the disabled, gays and transvestites it would appear that LB wouldn't actually have an act...

Their stuff will be offensive to some people but that doesn't mean it should be banned or that they should be censored, the people who are offended should just switch channels...