Live Comedy

Anyone seen any live comedy recently. Tonight I saw the Comedy Players at the Comedy Store, always brilliant as usual. Two weeks ago I saw David Cross and Friends at the 100 Club with special guest Robin Ince. All the acts were great but Robin Ince and David Cross were the highlight. Cross even showed us footage of him appearing on Quiz Call with outrageous suggestions for words. 'Weeindoce? Its a French fish with tits.' Laughing out loud

Anyone else dragged themselves away from the computer/TV screen?

I live in the middle of nowheres-ville. I never get to see any live comedy, except when I stand in front of the mirror practicing "a bit".

Leevil that is so sad. I hope when i'm a famous comedian you will get one of those magic metal horses and see one of my shows. :)

You could just bring out a DVD.

What clubs do you frequent? I may show up one day and heckle you, mwah-ha-ha-ha!

I'm too insecure to have people I know and don't really know see it, all my friends hate me for it Laughing out loud, but when I sell out i'll need the ticket sales. As for the heckle bring it on.

Went to Jongleurs the other week. That was fun.

Best Live acts I have seen....Very predictable Im afraid

Peter Kay
Eddie Izzard.

Though I once saw a live act in a club in Amsterdam. I think it was supposed to be erotic but I found it hysterical.

If you haven't heard " Im Coming " in a strong Dutch accent you aint lived !!!

Quote: ajp29 @ July 12, 2007, 12:26 AM

Anyone else dragged themselves away from the computer/TV screen?

Best place to see standup is to go to a TV recording. Not only does one get whoever is in the show, but also their celebrity friends in the audience, and the warmup person. And it's free! :D

I'd heartily recommend The Stand in Edinburgh, if you get the chance. Almost always people you've never heard of, and it can be hit or miss, but I go as much as I can when I go home. It's a nice little intimate venue, perfect for standup. Places like the Comedy Store and Jongleurs always feel a bit 'corporate' and contrived for me, though I still go along from time to time.

Best standup I ever saw was Dylan Moran, before Black Books. Awesome. Also rated Mark Little (Joe Mangle from Neighbours) who did a stint in the Edinburgh Fringe a few years back.

Also saw Billy Connolly in NYC (Get me!) last year - he's the comedy equivalent of Teddy Sheringham these days, I'm sorry to say.

Saw Stewart Lee a couple of weeks back at 'Roar With Laughter' Comedy Club at GJ's in Colliers Wood.

Might be going tonight to see Adam Hills and Maeve Higgins' (warm-up) Edinburgh gigs, hopefully...

Dan

I saw Russell Howard recently - front row seats, absolutely brilliant! It's a shame I'm too young to get into Jongeleurs just now (Roll on January!).
I've got tickets to see Bill Bailey in November which should be interesting Pleased

Quote: Aljado @ July 12, 2007, 8:59 AM

I'd heartily recommend The Stand in Edinburgh, if you get the chance. Almost always people you've never heard of, and it can be hit or miss, but I go as much as I can when I go home. It's a nice little intimate venue, perfect for standup. Places like the Comedy Store and Jongleurs always feel a bit 'corporate' and contrived for me, though I still go along from time to time.

I agree wholeheartedly, both on Jongleurs and on The Stand.
Probably my fave Edinburgh venue when I go up for the festival, saw Daniel Kitson there a couple of years ago and it still stands as one of my favourite gigs ever. A nice size and shaped venue too, perfect for inclusive comedy.
Been to most of the Manchester and North Midlands venues. The Limelight in Crewe is a great little venue and XS Malarkey is generally considered the best value venue in Manc (amazing acts for small prices).

The best live act I ever saw was myself in the mirror. I done this gig for me alone. It was very personal. I giggled so much, wee actually came out.

Quote: Charley @ July 13, 2007, 2:11 PM

The best live act I ever saw was myself in the mirror. I done this gig for me alone. It was very personal. I giggled so much, wee actually came out.

Did you see plagiarism in that mirror?! Angry

You really are a classy bird, aren't you Charley? :P