Just A Minute (TV 2012) Page 4

Time constraints?

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ March 28 2012, 7:56 PM BST

My 0.02p, fwiw (nothing):

Although I think that Stephen Fry is a great and funny comic actor, I don't think adlibbing is his forte. His attempts during the early series of "Whose Line Is It Anyway" were strained..

Ditto and even more so Paul Merton. Talk about floundering.

Quote: Aaron @ March 29 2012, 10:06 AM BST

Time constraints?

Do you not think radio shows are more relaxed time-wise when you go to see them?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ March 29 2012, 10:18 AM BST

Ditto and even more so Paul Merton. Talk about floundering.

You think Merton works best from a script? He makes his living from improv!

Quote: AJGO @ March 28 2012, 4:47 PM BST

People jot down notes on pretty much all quiz shows. Have you never noticed?! :)

Yes, but most quiz shows don't involve people attempting to talk for a minute without hesitation, deviation or repetition, something which is considerably easier if you are reading it out.

It's not a major point but seeing it [the note taking] on the TV show has made me slightly less impressed with the skill of the contestants.

Quote: Harridan @ March 29 2012, 10:30 AM BST

You think Merton works best from a script?

Did I say that? No!

"He makes his living from improv!"

We were talking about (I wish people would read previous posts!!) Stephen Fry in the earlier series of WLIIA, and if you see any of them with Paul Merton in, he is toe curlingly embarassing - often repeating what other cleverer improv. people have said........Floundering.

I like him, but he is no way near the perfect article. Even on HIGNFY you can see he is not as comfortable as some guests even, let alone Ian Hislop.
It manifests itself with his annoying habit of repeating lines/jokes that he felt should get a better response, whereas they were not that funny.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ March 29 2012, 10:52 AM BST

Did I say that? No!

"He makes his living from improv!"

We were talking about (I wish people would read previous posts!!) Stephen Fry in the earlier series of WLIIA, and if you see any of them with Paul Merton in, he is toe curlingly embarassing - often repeating what other cleverer improv. people have said........Floundering.

I like him, but he is no way near the perfect article. Even on HIGNFY you can see he is not as comfortable as some guests even, let alone Ian Hislop.
It manifests itself with his annoying habit of repeating lines/jokes that he felt should get a better response, whereas they were not that funny.

Your comment was ambiguous as the quote you were responding to also said that Fry wasn't great at adlibbing.

I've watched the early Whose Lines and I never thought that Merton was particularly floundering. The format of some of the games made everyone struggle at times. I find Merton's quips on HIGNFY very entertaining - he's very quick-witted.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ March 29 2012, 10:18 AM BST

Do you not think radio shows are more relaxed time-wise when you go to see them?

Oh, right. I think I see what you're getting at - I wouldn't consider it an issue of time as such though, but of having to concerned with far more as part and parcel of the visual element: general appearance, continuity, make-up, just to name a few.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 29 2012, 10:44 AM BST

Yes, but most quiz shows don't involve people attempting to talk for a minute without hesitation, deviation or repetition, something which is considerably easier if you are reading it out.

It's not a major point but seeing the note taking on the TV show has made me slightly less impressed with the skill of the contestants.

Heh, fair enough. I would presume they only had time for quick brainstorming though, I'd still be out in the first second for 'umm'ing

Quote: Harridan @ March 29 2012, 10:58 AM BST

Your comment was ambiguous as the quote you were responding to also said that Fry wasn't great at adlibbing.

I've watched the early Whose Lines and I never thought that Merton was particularly floundering. The format of some of the games made everyone struggle at times. I find Merton's quips on HIGNFY very entertaining - he's very quick-witted.

"ambiguous.........also"??

It was entirely, and along with the previous post about Fry being no good at improv./ad libbing (go on then, tell me they are two entirely different things) and I still maintain that PM was just as bad, if not worse - I can only assume that you weren't concentrating or you were looking at his contribution in early WLIIA through rose tinted specs.
He's funny on HIGNFY I grant you, but quick witted? Again see above - are you telling me you've never noticed him repeating his ripostes?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ March 29 2012, 12:10 PM BST

"ambiguous.........also"??

It was entirely, and along with the previous post about Fry being no good at improv./ad libbing (go on then, tell me they are two entirely different things) and I still maintain that PM was just as bad, if not worse - I can only assume that you weren't concentrating or you were looking at his contribution in early WLIIA through rose tinted specs.
He's funny on HIGNFY I grant you, but quick witted? Again see above - are you telling me you've never noticed him repeating his ripostes?

Calm down. It's ok if we disagree.

I've seen Merton ad libbing live on stage and he was great. I do agree however that on this he's very up and down.