Watson & Oliver - Series 1 Page 11

Didn't watch it from start so maybe I'd be more used to it if I had. But I wanted it to be like M&W and it seemed to me a bit too staged. I'm just surprised that it's nowhere near as good as it could be considering the talent involved (that's not a snide remark, I do think writers and performers are great hence surprisement)

Can't recall which sketch now, I'm a useless critic! But...there were lots and lots of bits where I could see what the joke was and it was done well, but it didn't come across. Perhaps that's what wanky types mean when they talk about the magic of television

Quote: Shandonbelle @ March 26 2012, 11:03 PM BST

Which one was that?

Must say I'm enjoying it, some of the sketches seem overdone eg the office fight one, but the prison one could grow into a sort of Ralph and Ted relationship if handled right....and they still remind me of a female Morecambe and Wise, who were never polished and some of the humour was a bit hit and miss with them too and could be seen as haphazard but that was the appeal. More about the on-screen relationship of the two, I see the same warmth between these two.

Every time you compare these lumpen hoofers to Morecambe and Wise.

God kills a penguin with AIDS

of the beak

because it angers him.

I actually enjoyed this last ep most out of the whole series. Maybe because a few of the long running sketches got some kind of resolution. Or because over the weeks they've grown on me, or something.
I shall miss their weird usually-dressed-up-as-very-effeminate-men faces. I love Watson(?) dressed as a man. She looks like a little gnome.

But they are a 'bit' like Morecambe and Wise...not as good, but they remind me and maybe I want to be reminded....I miss them.

Quote: AJGO @ March 26 2012, 10:35 PM BST

I feel like such a bitch writing this, but this is really not good. How is that possible when it has great writers and great performers? It's like all the basic rules you learn quite quickly trying to write comedy have been completely ignored. I don't understand. I don't know whether to interpret this as a sign that we should be thoroughly encouraged to continue writing and submitting or if we should just give up entirely.

Wow it must have been even worse than I thought!

I think more and more BBC sketch shows smack of "we paid for the best so it must work."

But it doesn't. Ever. Period.

Dreary ideas, over ambitious budgets and endless repetition.

Shooting Stars, Pyschoville, Rev are all works of love and passion. Made by commited writers, producers, directors and actors. That kind of smooth polished writing. Seems entirely missing in this rushed hodge podge of nothing . They may be brilliant performers but this show does nothing with the skills they haven't had a chance to demonstrate.

Quote: sootyj @ March 26 2012, 11:17 PM BST

Every time you compare these lumpen hoofers to Morcambe and Wise.

God kills a penguin with AIDS

of the beak

because it angers him.

No one's saying they're as good as Morecambe and Wise.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ March 26 2012, 11:19 PM BST

But they are a 'bit' like Morecambe and Wise...not as good, but they remind me and maybe I want to be reminded....I miss them.

There goes another penguin.

A big fat grey one like Happy Feet.

Hope you're proud, its parents are bereft.

It's all right, they always p p p p pick themselves up again.

Quote: sootyj @ March 26 2012, 11:23 PM BST

Wow it must have been even worse than I thought!

I think more and more BBC sketch shows smack of "we paid for the best so it must work."

But it doesn't. Ever. Period.

Dreary ideas, over ambitious budgets and endless repetition.

Shooting Stars, Pyschoville, Rev are all works of love and passion. Made by commited writers, producers, directors and actors. That kind of smooth polished writing. Seems entirely missing in this rushed hodge podge of nothing . They may be brilliant performers but this show does nothing with the skills they haven't had a chance to demonstrate.

:P
Please don't say 'period', we're British dontchaknow. I would like to see an over-the-series sketch where a British woman in America gets flummoxed and menstrual whenever someone uses that term. But not written by sootyj, because it will give the ladyfolk nightmares

Don't mess with me AJGO

I know clowns.

You may find a bunch of them knocking on your door...at night....when you're on your own.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ March 26 2012, 11:27 PM BST

It's all right, they always p p p p pick themselves up again.

This one won't.

He's dead

Because you failed to acknowledge Vic and Bob as the true inheritors to Morcambe and Wise.

I know exactly what AJGO's getting at, and I feel largely the same. Some bits of the series I've really enjoyed, others have just felt quite flat. Their chemistry is wonderful and I really hope they get another series - there was enough good, and enough promise in this series to warrant it - but at the same time it largely hasn't quite worked in a manner that I can't quite put my finger on. Curious.

Quote: sootyj @ March 26 2012, 11:32 PM BST

you failed to acknowledge Vic and Bob as the true inheritors to Morcambe and Wise.

A) HHAhahahahahahahah. Oh God. Stylistic imitation does not equal inheritance.

B) Who are Morcambe and Wise?

There was a sketch in episode one. The black and white one mocking 60s French cinema.

Clever, funny and a proper knock out surprise punch.

But nothing similar. And the prison sketch kept almost being there, but just not quite.

Quote: sootyj @ March 26 2012, 11:32 PM BST

Because you failed to acknowledge Vic and Bob as the true inheritors to Morcambe and Wise.

Ah but I totally agree with you there...but we were not talking about them.

As for clowns, my ex dressed as one for our daughters 4th birthday, yellow wig, makeup and all. Thinking back now it must have been a bit freaky for the kids who came to the party.