Hi there Page 2

Now that's definitely something you can use to your advantage I reckon, get the audience on your side by talking about being welsh and living in England! Anyway, hope you don't think I'm being nosey?!, have always liked stand up comedy and find it really interesting that you're having a go at doing it.

Welcome Bubbles

Quote: bubbles1505 @ December 29 2011, 12:06 AM GMT

Now that's definitely something you can use to your advantage I reckon, get the audience on your side by talking about being welsh and living in England! Anyway, hope you don't think I'm being nosey?!, have always liked stand up comedy and find it really interesting that you're having a go at doing it.

Nah it's cool like talking to people about it :). My original sort of character on stage was more revolved around that but then I noticed something when I get back to Wales none of my jokes would really work that well. I have a few that could still work but even them wouldn't be as funny in as they were in England. Because of that my jokes and character are generally to do with my extreme randomness and geekyness and how I've been judged and bullied because of it. I know geeky is a over used character in amateur comedy but my extreme randomness (one of my jokes starts off about sleep talking and somehow ends with fisting a Nazis...)works well with it.

:) Think I've seen you on YouTube? anyway, welcome here, lots of info and stuff.

Quote: James Hunter @ December 29 2011, 12:49 PM GMT

Nah it's cool like talking to people about it :). My original sort of character on stage was more revolved around that but then I noticed something when I get back to Wales none of my jokes would really work that well. I have a few that could still work but even them wouldn't be as funny in as they were in England. Because of that my jokes and character are generally to do with my extreme randomness and geekyness and how I've been judged and bullied because of it. I know geeky is a over used character in amateur comedy but my extreme randomness (one of my jokes starts off about sleep talking and somehow ends with fisting a Nazis...)works well with it.

Thanks Will Cam & Dellas, yep I'm on YouTube somewhere.... (i think!)

It might take you a while to find the right style of comedy that suits you, and the right character you want to portray. I wonder if most comics adjust their material depending on which part of the country they're in & what type of audience it is?.. or whether thay just keep in the same no matter what. Some jokes are bound to work better than others.

I've only been to a comedy club once called 'up the creek' in Greenwich, London (not sure if it's still there or not as this was about 7 yrs ago) and I thought the 3 amateur comics would be mega heckled, especially if they were poor (from memory they weren't terrible but they weren't particuarly that good either). But instead, people just ignored them after a while, when they got bored. So there was just a general level of chat you'd get in any public place like a pub, but instead a guy on stage trying to talk over it all! Don't know if that's typical, probably not!

Quote: bubbles1505 @ January 2 2012, 1:09 AM GMT

Thanks Will Cam & Dellas, yep I'm on YouTube somewhere.... (i think!)

It might take you a while to find the right style of comedy that suits you, and the right character you want to portray. I wonder if most comics adjust their material depending on which part of the country they're in & what type of audience it is?.. or whether thay just keep in the same no matter what. Some jokes are bound to work better than others.

I've only been to a comedy club once called 'up the creek' in Greenwich, London (not sure if it's still there or not as this was about 7 yrs ago) and I thought the 3 amateur comics would be mega heckled, especially if they were poor (from memory they weren't terrible but they weren't particuarly that good either). But instead, people just ignored them after a while, when they got bored. So there was just a general level of chat you'd get in any public place like a pub, but instead a guy on stage trying to talk over it all! Don't know if that's typical, probably not!

If comedians are doing a tour they will usually have a joke for each venue but that's only really big comedians I just changed mine as I didn't want to cut out a large part of Britain and I find my new character fits me very well. The whole randomness and geekyness is just myself but amplified and also I have taken to miming more in my jokes which has been working well.

Actually with my experience acts getting talked over is a general problem. If you can't keep their attention they will just start to talk amongst themselves. You have to work on your timing to make sure you keep the audience's attention. I don't have this problem so much as my jokes are quiet quick fire. I'll have a story with a joke every few seconds so they don't have a chance to laugh Laughing out loud

Quote: James Hunter @ January 2 2012, 10:38 PM GMT

If comedians are doing a tour they will usually have a joke for each venue but that's only really big comedians I just changed mine as I didn't want to cut out a large part of Britain and I find my new character fits me very well. The whole randomness and geekyness is just myself but amplified and also I have taken to miming more in my jokes which has been working well.

Actually with my experience acts getting talked over is a general problem. If you can't keep their attention they will just start to talk amongst themselves. You have to work on your timing to make sure you keep the audience's attention. I don't have this problem so much as my jokes are quiet quick fire. I'll have a story with a joke every few seconds so they don't have a chance to laugh Laughing out loud

Ah right, chit-chat over a comic if they start to lose the crowd isn't uncommon then. Shows what little I know of those kinda venues. It was just the once I went. I'm gonna come across snobbish now by saying I prefer going to see the big stars! :$ But they all start somewhere I know, and pumping the crowd full of jokes must be easier to keep them listening, altho maybe a lot more stuff to remember in yr act!

Anywho.. clicked yr link, found you on twitter, I'm Lou1505. It's nice to chat to fellow fans of comedy :)

Quote: bubbles1505 @ January 4 2012, 10:07 PM GMT

Ah right, chit-chat over a comic if they start to lose the crowd isn't uncommon then. Shows what little I know of those kinda venues. It was just the once I went. I'm gonna come across snobbish now by saying I prefer going to see the big stars! :$ But they all start somewhere I know, and pumping the crowd full of jokes must be easier to keep them listening, altho maybe a lot more stuff to remember in yr act!

Anywho.. clicked yr link, found you on twitter, I'm Lou1505. It's nice to chat to fellow fans of comedy :)

It's not snobbish :P I understand why people rather go see the big acts they command the room pretty much and get very little heckling to well except Ross Noble who's whole act is based on hecklers shouting things at him. And not really I find it pretty easy to remember my set jokes. Each joke either has some relation to the one before it so it's easy to remember or the joke is set at a turning point in the set which makes me remember it any way :). The people who struggle the most to remember their jokes are one liner acts.

And thanks :)

Hiya Wave

Quote: James Hunter @ January 4 2012, 11:09 PM GMT

It's not snobbish :P I understand why people rather go see the big acts they command the room pretty much and get very little heckling to well except Ross Noble who's whole act is based on hecklers shouting things at him. And not really I find it pretty easy to remember my set jokes. Each joke either has some relation to the one before it so it's easy to remember or the joke is set at a turning point in the set which makes me remember it any way :). The people who struggle the most to remember their jokes are one liner acts.

And thanks :)

Hi Shandonbelle :)

___

Guess it's similiar to an actor learning his lines. The one-liner legend that is Tim Vine said he forgets his jokes sometimes and bluffs his way thru with a one-liner to cover it up.... altho thinking about it, that's probably part of his act!?? Rolling eyes Anyways... when's yr next big gig?

And yeah, I joined here same time as twitter, I know from experience that it takes a while & quite a few posts to get established on message forums.

Quote: bubbles1505 @ January 7 2012, 9:03 PM GMT

Hi Shandonbelle :)

___

Guess it's similiar to an actor learning his lines. The one-liner legend that is Tim Vine said he forgets his jokes sometimes and bluffs his way thru with a one-liner to cover it up.... altho thinking about it, that's probably part of his act!?? Rolling eyes Anyways... when's yr next big gig?

And yeah, I joined here same time as twitter, I know from experience that it takes a while & quite a few posts to get established on message forums.

That's the upside of one liners if you forget a joke you can just skip it while if I forget a bit of mine I'm stuck. And I'm not sure I've got 2 in February but I might find out out about more tonight with the comedy society at my uni. But I think my next big gig would either be the uni's SU or Mr Bens Gong Show if I get that sorted with some others, date I'm not sure most likely some point in Feb. I have a few small one going on though.

Quote: James Hunter @ January 9 2012, 5:46 PM GMT

That's the upside of one liners if you forget a joke you can just skip it while if I forget a bit of mine I'm stuck. And I'm not sure I've got 2 in February but I might find out out about more tonight with the comedy society at my uni. But I think my next big gig would either be the uni's SU or Mr Bens Gong Show if I get that sorted with some others, date I'm not sure most likely some point in Feb. I have a few small one going on though.

Cool, best of luck!!! Let us know how it goes :)

Quote: bubbles1505 @ January 11 2012, 9:54 PM GMT

Cool, best of luck!!! Let us know how it goes :)

Will do :) though I have just got a gig on March 3rd at Nottingham Glee club for a gong show which should be fun