Class and comedy! Page 5

Laughing out loud

Watching a doucmentary about Bob Monkhouse, it was saying that in the 1950s he was unusual in his day because he was a comic from a posh background.

I don't know what the answer is to the OP's question but a few guesses:

A lot of post war comics and actors came out of army concert parties where they could have a go, had a captive audience and few barriers to entry.

Is there such a large culture for the club and variety circuit as there was in the post-war years and now? Even pub comics have been consigned to a more niche urban middle class night out, like Jazz.

Not of an avid viewer of Britain's Got Talent but I haven't heard of any comedians spring from this programme, unlike the 70s where Lenny Henry, Jim Bowen and Jim Davidson all made their name through New Faces or Opportunity Knocks.

Quote: youngian @ December 16 2011, 8:37 PM GMT

Not of an avid viewer of Britain's Got Talent but I haven't heard of any comedians spring from this programme, unlike the 70s where Lenny Henry, Jim Bowen and Jim Davidson all made their name through New Faces or Opportunity Knocks.

There was that one guy: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/its_paul_burling/

However, that I had to go right back a year in my TV guide and search through December to find out the name of the show, I think says it all.

Quote: youngian @ December 16 2011, 8:37 PM GMT

unlike the 70s where Lenny Henry, Jim Bowen and Jim Davidson all made their name through New Faces or Opportunity Knocks.

Which is probably the very reason we don't use this method much now.

Britain's Got Talent? Is that a Simon Cowell show? If so, there's no way a comedian would ever win, because Cowell wouldn't be able to make money out of them.

Quote: raul415 @ December 10 2011, 4:35 PM GMT

I am an American completely in love with British comedy but I have a questions.

It seems that so many of the most famous comedy performers, and writers all seem to come out of Cambridge and other public schools. From John Cleese to Richard Ayoade, it seems that making connections at these school (if you're talented) puts you in a very good position for success. This in itself is not surprising, most of the business world works the same way.

What I am curious about is whether there is a perception that having a public school education confers on one a sort of superior comic intelligence, or is it more of an all boys club. You went to school with the guy who now works for the BBC...sort of thing.

I know that there are successful comedians in Britain who did not go to these schools but it seems that the vast majority did and do.

In America there are writers and comedians who have the same sort of educational background as the public school crowd, but for the vast majority of folks the most important thing being making industry contacts, getting an agent etc..

It does seem to be a bit of a comedy class elite situation in Britain (though it seems to be changing) and I'd appreciate any insight.

Cheers!

I think you may have a misconception about the Brits comedy scene. It was only in relatively recent times that folks from public schools entered the comedy arena which by the way is still dominated by those from the mainstream schools especially on the club circuits where most comics cut their teeth.

The few who did make it from the "posh" schools such as Stephen Fry, Rowan Atkinson, The Pythons, etc got there on merit same as everyone else. I haven't heard any reasonable argument that would convince me otherwise.

Personaly I think British comedy experience has been enriched by having the best of both worlds.

There is always an element of 'who you know' and LUCK.
Luck being in the right place at right time.

I uphold my therory that for every 'star' in any genre, there are a thousand+ equally talented 'undiscovered'.

raul415 is grossly mistaken, there is absolutely an American class system, which is exemplified in a whole host of comedy characters including Winthorne, Duke and Duke from Trading Places and Mr. and Mrs. Pewterschmit from Family Guy.

In real life, there are many 'first families' who make up the bedrock of the US class system, many who can trace their family routes back to the Pilgrims and the Founding Fathers.

Just like here, education is a deciding factor and they almost always attend an Ivy League school.

Though there may be more of a blurring between the lines in the US, the class system does exist.

I'm probably going to get slapped up for this, but here goes:

I'm rather perturbed by this consistent assumption of 'working class' accent = poorly educated.

Has anyone been in a room full of 40 60 y.o. PHDs recently and listened to them speak? Academia used to be the path to financial security for a hard working boy from the back streets who couldn't afford boxing gloves or a ukelele. Not sure that will be the case in 20 years time, though.

Of course this doesn't help with the class system question, but couldn't think where else to stick it :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2100092/Ricky-Gervais-Peter-Kay-Britains-comedians-earning-20m-single-tour.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2012/feb/20/millionaire-comedians-connect-with-fans

Quote: raul415 @ December 10 2011, 4:35 PM GMT

It seems that so many of the most famous comedy performers, and writers all seem to come out of Cambridge and other public schools. From John Cleese to Richard Ayoade, it seems that making connections at these school (if you're talented) puts you in a very good position for success. This in itself is not surprising, most of the business world works the same way.

What I am curious about is whether there is a perception that having a public school education confers on one a sort of superior comic intelligence, or is it more of an all boys club. You went to school with the guy who now works for the BBC...sort of thing.

I know that there are successful comedians in Britain who did not go to these schools but it seems that the vast majority did and do.

In America there are writers and comedians who have the same sort of educational background as the public school crowd, but for the vast majority of folks the most important thing being making industry contacts, getting an agent etc..

It does seem to be a bit of a comedy class elite situation in Britain (though it seems to be changing) and I'd appreciate any insight.

Cheers!

The Cambridge University Footlights churns them out and it helps a whole heap (especially with the BBC) to have an independent school/Oxbridge background.

Famous alumni of Footlights include: Douglas Adams, Clive Anderson, David Baddiel, Sasha Baron Cohen, John Bird, Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Peter Cook, Michael Frayn, David Frost, Stephen Fry, Germaine Greer, Matt Holness, Alex Horne, Nicholas Hytner, Eric Idle, Clive James, Tim Key, Hugh Laurie, John Lloyd, Miriam Margoyles, Simon McBurney, Rory McGrath, Ben Miller, Jonathan Miller, David Mitchell, Neil Mullarkey, Trevor Nunn, Bill Oddie, Sue Perkins, Jan Ravens, Griff Rhys Jones, Peter Shaffer, Tony Slattery, Emma Thompson, Mark Watson, Robert Webb.

It's funny to read the Northerners getting the flack as the uneducated ones with the working class accents (that is a seriously funny term), especially on a comedy forum when the north has an higher standard of education and also produces more comedians. I don't think there are any class distinctions in comedy other than the BBC's preference of employing uni grads but that is more to do with the funny handshake brigade I think. Regardless of whatever class you feel you are in, if you are born with funny bones you will make people laugh no matter what your social status happens to be judged at. Australia doesn't seem to have this class problem which is great when you can stand at a bar with a tramp on one side, a millionaire on the other and all be on the same wavelength in a conversation about nothing.

Quote: Martin Caine @ March 3 2012, 12:53 AM GMT

Australia doesn't seem to have this class problem which is great when you can stand at a bar with a tramp on one side, a millionaire on the other and all be on the same wavelength in a conversation about nothing.

I wouldn't fancy drinking in a bar where tramps are allowed.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 1 2012, 4:51 PM GMT

raul415 is grossly mistaken, there is absolutely an American class system, which is exemplified in a whole host of comedy characters including Winthorne, Duke and Duke from Trading Places and Mr. and Mrs. Pewterschmit from Family Guy.

In real life, there are many 'first families' who make up the bedrock of the US class system, many who can trace their family routes back to the Pilgrims and the Founding Fathers.

Just like here, education is a deciding factor and they almost always attend an Ivy League school.

Though there may be more of a blurring between the lines in the US, the class system does exist.

And Frasier was one of the best ever sit-coms in dealing with class snobbery and pomposity.

Quote: chipolata @ March 3 2012, 10:29 AM GMT

I wouldn't fancy drinking in a bar where tramps are allowed.

I think that was a figure of speech. A tramp to him is probably someone who isn't wearing a tie.