BBC spend £88 million on comedy

Last year the BBC spent £88 million on comedy, I didn't know Franky Boyle's and David Mitchell's fees were so high. All I know is that I didn't see any of it.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/news.php?story=000209

This got me thinking as to what they spent it on, off the top of my head:-

Would I Lie to You-OK
Gavin and Stacey-Been discussed *rolls eyes*
Rush Hour-Good
Have I Got News For You-Great as usual
Sorry I Haven't A Clue-Excellent
Other Radio 4 output-Mitchell and Webb Sound is good
Theives-average would be being kind
The Visit-Vincent Davies' new sitcom 15th of July on BBC3 at 9pm (shameless plug for you Vincent :))

Anyone think of any others?

Mock The Week
Harry And Paul
My Family S7
After You've Gone

Quote: Rick Skelton @ July 4, 2007, 2:02 PM

My Family S7

That's where a lot of the money went! That said, for the BBC My Family was a cheap investment in terms of ratings return.

There's has been a ton of shows on the BBC: Not Going Out and Green Green Grass are two big hitters not mentioned yet.

Don't forget a lot of it has been invested in comedy we haven't seen yet (i.e. still in production) and a lot of it has gone on pilots that have never made it to air or have been tucked away on BBC3.

I'm not speaking for or against the BBC here - they do try lots of new comedy each year but there is some serious in-efficiency going on. The average budget to setup a pilot is normally between £250,000 and £800,000 apparently - I could sort one for £50,000 I think!

Jonathan Ross

Quote: Nick Rivers @ July 4, 2007, 2:13 PM

Jonathan Ross

Laughing out loud

Only works out at about £1.30 each I’d paid 10 times that for the Royle Family special alone.

Quote: Mark @ July 4, 2007, 2:12 PM

That's where a lot of the money went! That said, for the BBC My Family was a cheap investment in terms of ratings return.

There's has been a ton of shows on the BBC: Not Going Out and Green Green Grass are two big hitters not mentioned yet.

Don't forget a lot of it has been invested in comedy we haven't seen yet (i.e. still in production) and a lot of it has gone on pilots that have never made it to air or have been tucked away on BBC3.

I'm not speaking for or against the BBC here - they do try lots of new comedy each year but there is some serious in-efficiency going on. The average budget to setup a pilot is normally between £250,000 and £800,000 apparently - I could sort one for £50,000 I think!

Not going out was ok. GGG was formuliac and poorly thought out.

A lot of this money goes on fees, to people like Ross and Norton, not on actual programmes. It's wrong to say there is a big investment in comedy because many of these people are already invested in and safe bets, but command higher fees. This doesn't mean they are any good of consistent performers. To me, Ross has been uver used. Norton just looks up stuff on the web, as far as I can see. Again, these people are paid retainers and then the BBC might find something for them to do. This is the wrong way around. You get the format. One of the things which gripes me about Dr Who is the star name before the programme title. The format is bigger and probably more important than who plays the Doctor, but apparently this is not recognised. I'm using this as a case in point.

I'm sorry, My Family, GGG, After You've Gone...formulaic. It doesn't 'go' anywhere. It's the same stuff as in the seventies but with mobiles.

BBC3 however have produced some good shows.

Seriously, if people want quality improved they are going to have to look at the way they develop formats and ideas, and not just go with whatever is closest to the chequebook five minutes before lunch.

Also, they sell a lot of these shows abroad, so it's entirely wrong to base things on ratings value.

The BBC doesn't need to chase ratings, it needs to produce quality programmes which people will make a point of seeing. If you concentrate on that, then the ratings will be there.

Roman’s Empire, Saxondale, Sensitive Skin, Still Game, Fear Stress and Anger, Feel the force, Hyperdrive,

Plus there must have been getting on for about 20 pilots spread over BBC3,4 and Scotland alone with a large handful of sketch shows.

Not bad for £1.30

There are people starving in the Third World.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ July 4, 2007, 4:24 PM

"Developing world", you racist

Ah what's in a name?

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ July 4, 2007, 4:24 PM

And I bet even they wouldn't watch 'Hyperdrive'...

Quote: Retinend @ July 4, 2007, 4:25 PM

"Developing world", you racist

Maybe he means the planet zorastra. I understand there's a famine there right now!

That reminds me.
I am hungry.

As I'm too lazy to find and attempt to read the report, I'd be interested to know what kinds of outgoings count up to that £88 million, and over what period (financial, calendar?).

Anyway, the real question is not "How much has the BBC spent on comedy?", but "How much has the BBC made from comedy?" - take into account overseas programme and format sales, DVD sales and so on, and I wouldn't mind betting that there's quiiiiiiite a tidy profit being made there.