Jesting About 2: Funny Gets Serious Page 2

So does this mean that they want a sketch based on one of the two themes?, and not a pilot. And if so; is there a suggested length of sketch?.

Quote: Johnny26 @ November 4 2011, 11:56 AM GMT

So does this mean that they want a sketch based on one of the two themes?, and not a pilot. And if so; is there a suggested length of sketch?.

The sketch opp is a different project altogether to the sitcom opp.

There are three separate projects.

1) Sketch show pilot. (which they've accidentally called a sketch sitcom pilot)
2) Sitcom pilot, based on either one of the two ideas posted.
3) Live comedy entertainment show.

If you follow the Writersroom link, you'll find the actual brief for all three opps as a doc file.

Quote: Lazzard @ November 4 2011, 11:08 AM GMT

So they want a pre-watershed, NW-centric Sitcom based on two potty mouthed Londoners.

I thought that at first until I Googled Miriam Margolyes who is an established TV and theatre name. I believe she only had a guest role on that Coming Of Age episode.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ November 4 2011, 3:25 PM GMT

I thought that at first until I Googled Miriam Margolyes who is an established TV and theatre name. I believe she only had a guest role on that Coming Of Age episode.

I know who Miriam Maroglyes is!!!
My point was that it was a rather bizarre example to choose bearing in mind what they're after.
If they genuinley wanted to commission a sit-com for them, they would.

I'm afraid it's just an exam question.
More box ticking from the Beeb.

thanks Mikey

that's how it looked to me, but I wasn't sure, so it's really a treatment, and a first ten page job.

Both ideas sound rubbish to me, Joe Tracini has recently joined the cast of Hollyoaks full time so I can't see that idea being made into a sitcom

So now we're left with one rubbish choice? Why don't they just write it themselves, it's bound to be rubbish either way.

Is it just me or is this the f**king stupidest competition the BBC has ever run.
The brief doesn't make sense.
Then they list three sitcoms they want you to model yours on (all of which are, I think we can all agree, shi*e) and then chuck in another four for good measure, all very different from each other, just so you have no idea what they want. Then they tell you what they want - which can't be reconciled with any of the, already contradictory, things they've said before that point - and they're both terrible.
Coming of Age is just dire - I can see how it might appeal to some of BBC3's target audience but why they'd want to pick up a derivate of it and run with it on prime time BBC1 I can't understand.
And the second idea, whilst having some appeal, is so prescriptive they'll just be reading the same script over and over again won't they? And why are they asking for a projection of how the series will develop and what the key characters are like - they've just told us haven't they?
And then they give you only a month to get submissions in - as if I've already got a script for a series starring Joe Tracini and Miriam Margolyes in my top drawer just waiting for a final polish.
And then they give all these bullsh*t questions at the end like: 'Is the project ambitious and big enough for the BBC to build a marketing campaign around it?' WELL IT'S YOUR F*CKING IDEA ISN'T IT? IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T ASK US TO WRITE IT.
Why not just say: 'We want a prime time BBC 1 Sitcom set in the North' and leave it at that?

Quote: Fence @ November 8 2011, 4:33 PM GMT

Why not just say: 'We want a prime time BBC 1 Sitcom set in the North' and leave it at that?

Because they don't.
It's box ticking.
They have to be seen to fulfilling some sort of educational role and to avoid having a regional bias.
So they do this.
For the SitCom they can't even guarentee the winner will get a table-read.
The only possible merit of this is you MIGHT make a decent contact.

On the word document application form, are you supposed to delete the boxes which aren't applicable, or is there some way of ticking them?

Quote: groovydude89 @ November 27 2011, 2:48 PM GMT

On the word document application form, are you supposed to delete the boxes which aren't applicable, or is there some way of ticking them?

I wasn't sure about this either. In the end, I deleted the options that didn't apply and underlined 'yes'.

In Word you can double click these boxes and you'll get a popup that allows you to select an 'x' (or other character) to fill the box.

Got my sitcom 10-pages off. Thanks massively to AJGO for her great notes that helped knock it into shape.

Quote: Frantically @ November 27 2011, 5:53 PM GMT

In Word you can double click these boxes and you'll get a popup that allows you to select an 'x' (or other character) to fill the box.

Cheers - I didn't know that!

Edit: I've just submitted three sketches for the radio strand. To be honest, I'm not overly enthusiastic about this competition - however I thought I'd still make the effort to send something off.

Did anyone who applied in the last 24 hours NOT receive an automated response? People I've spoken to before that point have, and I haven't received anything back from mine.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ November 28 2011, 11:27 AM GMT

Did anyone who applied in the last 24 hours NOT receive an automated response? People I've spoken to before that point have, and I haven't received anything back from mine.

I sent my entry off last night and received an automated message within a couple of minutes.

Shitballs. It's just ticked over 12pm.