Holy Flying Circus Page 2

Quote: kevin garbett @ October 20 2011, 1:03 PM BST

I actually enjoyed the repeat showing of Friday Night... Saturday Morning much more. I found myself taking the side of Malcolm Muggeridge and the Bishop, which is probaly not on at all.

Huh?

I thought Holy Flying Circus was great. Certainly a pity that it wasn't more factual - or at very least a great disservice that they'd originally presented it as a docudrama - but there was plenty of funny, lots of stonkingly good impressions, and a twisted, off-the-wall inventiveness that was utterly delightful. Not to mention a ream of great references and jokes 'lovingly ripped off' from original Python work.

All those who thought this wasn't a good programme shout: "I'm best friends with The Bishop of Southwark".

I loved it, I thought it was clever, funny and inventive and had no pretensions to be an accurate recreation of the events surrounding the controversy over "Life of Brian". God help Michael Palin if this was even near to reality.

Clever, inventive comedy and shame on the Comedy Guide for putting people off with their "John Cleese is said to" and "Michael Palin is thought to" negativity.

Putting people off? I think it's more promoting the show and inviting people to check it out and decide for themselves, on an educated basis.

I could cry.

Trying to explain the "background" to this to my daughter.

She managed to get Michael Palin and Sarah Palin mixed up.

Well, in my humblest of opinions I thought it was f**king marvelous. As a piece of entertainment crammed with in-jokes it was superb. I didn't want a documentary or some Python arse-licking, and they delivered a superb bit of telly there.

Just watched this again and enjoyed it a lot more second time round. As Aaron said really good characterisations of the Pythons. All in all, good telly.

Well I thought it was very good and very funny. I remember the thing at the time that awful Muggeridge bully and a great big pompas bishop so self importantly brow beating Cleese and Palin...

At the time Muggeridge was a sort of figure of high culture on telly but he was a prize git. An early life Communist, a Spy in the war, like so many he seemed to regret which side won at the end of his life. The gay bishop.... need I say more?

This is still ostensibly a Python worshipping country and there is little enough proper Python around without showing this distorted garbage.

I'm gonna watch this now.

I thought it was good. It wasn't laugh out loud, but it was funny. Well produced and performed. I could happily watch much more of Darren Boyd's Cleese, which is weird.

I survived about quarter of an hour of this. Trying way too hard and falling flat.

The actor playing Palin was great and wished this was a drama on the lines of BBC Four's Curse of Comedy, as the subject material was good enough to have sustained it.

I enjoyed Darren Boyd's Fawltyesque Cleese which was the strongest part of this comedy idea. How many times did they do a pastiche of the argument sketch or make a joke about Eric Idle selling out? The best they could do with Terry Jones is take the piss out of his lisp and merge two other trivial facts about him, he did a lot of frocks and wrote with Palin (let's make him his wife ha ha).

I enjoyed watching it but the more I think about it in retrospect, the more I dislike it, strangely a Monty Python's Flying Circus in reverse.

I didn't like the Idle stuff either, it was lazy.
He's the most Pythonesque Python of them all.

As a Python fan I wasn't offended by the show, and the actors were great.
All in all it wasn't bad, but I was hoping for a lot lot more.