The Bleak Old Shop Of Stuff Page 6

They are, in part, subverting Dickens, who has his merits, but is not above parody.

Quote: sootyj @ January 3 2012, 9:00 AM GMT

Compare this show to the Blackadder Christmas special and note quite how profound the diferences are.

Excellent article in Guardian today defending the BBC. Fine but I think there needs to be a few more Revs and a lot less Bodyguard, Bleak Olds etc

In comparison, Blackadder's Christmas Carol was just an excuse to get the second and third Blackadder back; it only referenced one book, The Christmas Carol; you knew where it was going (it isn't as funny as the regular Blackadders at all) and since it is twenty years old surely Bleak Shop of Stuff is funnier?

Quote: Tim Azure @ January 3 2012, 11:54 AM GMT

and since it is twenty years old surely Bleak Shop of Stuff is funnier?

How does that even slightly make sense?

Quote: zooo @ January 3 2012, 10:38 AM GMT

You think they were trying to do Dickensian humour and failed? :S

I think it's very obviously modern humour, just in a Dickensian setting.

Stone age, traditional, old fashioned, modern, post modern, futuristic. Past, present and future; this has failed on every level.

I doubt very much that it aspired to being many of those things. It did however succeed in being silly and funny, which I think was the intention. This, Hacks, and, of course, Outnumbered, were about the only things that succeeded in making me laugh over Christmas.

Just watched tonight's ep

Quite enjoyable

Much better than the Christmas borefest

Only mildly amusing though - no real laugh out loud moments for me

Nice to see Tim Mckininikinerernery

Mines a brindy!

Still not a patch on Bleak Expectations. Disappointing.

I forgot all about this. I assume they'll be a DVD release pretty soon?

Nothing's scheduled, so not 'soon', but it would be quite surprising if there isn't one at some point.

Some funny stuff, better than the Christmas one. I hope they're going to give Eldon more to do.

Yes I liked this better. Very good. Love the suralan bit! :)

On as backround only but what I saw of it I quite liked and thought was pretty good. First one I've seen, but I can't see why people have been slating it at all. I especially liked the Mechanical French Hater.

Quote: Tim Azure @ January 3 2012, 11:54 AM GMT

In comparison, Blackadder's Christmas Carol was just an excuse to get the second and third Blackadder back; it only referenced one book, The Christmas Carol; you knew where it was going (it isn't as funny as the regular Blackadders at all) and since it is twenty years old surely Bleak Shop of Stuff is funnier?

I had no idea Blackadder did A Christmas Carol. Eh? When did they do that?

Oh in 1988. Yes, wouldn't have seen it or the civil war one, which I knew nothing of either. Only saw series 4 couple of years back.

'I was surprised not to like this show.

First problem is that this is the Dickensian spoof you would get from anyone who was asked to write a Dickensian spoof.'

I don't know, but for me Taddlebonce, there is a whiffy smidgeon of ye old contradickensiantoryness about these two statements! Surely one or t'other?