You really do need to be part of this... Page 3

How many people are giving up their Sky packages?

I have Virgin and a virgin conciense

Quote: Ben @ July 7 2011, 6:32 PM BST

How many people are giving up their Sky packages?

Just you I think. Hopefully more though.

The Met Police Force are closing on Sunday.

Brand Tarnished.

Quote: bigfella @ July 7 2011, 7:07 PM BST

The Met Police Force are closing on Sunday.

Brand Tarnished.

Laughing out loud

Quote: chipolata @ July 5 2011, 11:14 PM BST

Sometimes it can work. Disgraceful Hillsborough coverage damaged Sun sales in Liverpool.

A shame really because they did have a point.

Quote: 404 Not Found @ July 6 2011, 11:20 AM BST

The idea of Sky News turning into a US-style Fox News, sends a shiver down my spine. "Fair and Balanced" my arse!

Well it's probably not tanned and the buttocks are equal sizes.

Quote: Chappers @ July 7 2011, 10:10 PM BST

A shame really because they did have a point.

What do you mean?

Uh oh...

He means Chappers is now boycotted in Liverpool as well.

I was kid when Hillsborough happened, and to be honest, I didn't even find out about the whole thing with The Sun until a couple of years later. The stuff Kelvin McKenzie wrote was so ridiculous, it's almost funny, especially when you consider that the whole thing was televised, and was clear to see, as it all happened down at one end of the ground.

According to McKenzie:

Fans urinated on dead bodies (if this had been true, then the fans doing the urinating obviously would've been down at the front getting crushed, right? In that case, wouldn't they have had more important matters to attend to, like say, trying to avoid death?!)

Fans urinated on and attacked Police as they tried to resuscitate dead/dying people (if this really happened, it would've been clear to see, as it would've been happenning on the pitch, rather than on the terrace, where obviously there was no space whatsoever).

Fans picked the pockets of dead/dying people (the damage of this particular lie is still being felt, as I suspect it's the origin of a lot of the jokes you hear people tell about Scousers)

Fans, upon spying Police trying to resuscitate a young woman whose blouse had come undone, shouted, "Throw her up here and we will f**k her!" (as I said, all rescuscitation attempts happened on the pitch, so these fans must've had loud voices, if they were really "up" on the second tier of the Leppings Lane stand, and were heard by the Police in question, over all the chaotic noise. I seem to remember the fans on the second tier being more concerned with saving fans below them, by pulling the up out of the crush).

It was shameful journalism but in a weird way you can imagine football fans doing all that. They're hardly the most savoury bunch.

I know the date 7/7 will always be significant but yesterday's events and the fallout have the potential to be enormous in modern British history in my opinion.

I don't think people are generally considering the implications (and reasoning behind it) properly yet. My reading is that Murdoch has taken a massive gamble in sacrificing his flagship paper for two reasons: one to save the BSkyB deal (cos papers are worth nothing nowadays) and two to save Cameron. The latter of course will help secure the former. But how has he acted to save Cameron you may ask? By making the NOTW the sacrificial lamb, rather than Rebekah Brooks (family friend and confidante of the Camerons). But it's a mad gamble because the public trust journalists even less than ever, they trust Murdoch less than that, and the stench isn't going to go away. Nobody really believes it was only the NOTW doing this anyway, do they? Likewise, who believes that people working at NOTW today are responsible for the sins of their predecessors? Yet they find themselves out of work, while Brooks is at her desk.

Much more to come on this, I'm sure.

Please God it's someone finding out that Cameron has slept with Brooks !

It's a great exciting story. Although I fear that when the dust settles nothing much will have changed.

Quote: chipolata @ July 8 2011, 12:31 AM BST

It's a great exciting story. Although I fear that when the dust settles nothing much will have changed.

Yeah, but remember the Westland affair!

I'm telling you though, judge people by their actions. Everything today (I mean yesterday by now) has protected Brooks and the wider Murdoch empire. What he's saying with his actions is, newspapers are dead. This is the day the biggest nedia mogul in the world said it was more important to save the job of a trusted exec than it was to save a paper. Not just any paper, the biggest-selling one in the country.

If Brooks had resigned or been axed, this story COULD have been managed. And it COULD have been forgotten (to a degree) in time. But the way it's been handled means much much more.