Change The Record - Episode One

My latest radio sitcom Change The Record. Created by me and written by me and Andrew Flaherty. I play Tony and James Coard plays Bill with Lucy Perkins as Grace. It is set in a small record store owned by Bill but run by Tony. Tony is a domineering pseudo-intellectual whose aspirations are invariably frustrated by the lack of get up and go shown by Bill his dim-witted friend who does his best to get by but often finds himself in social situations where he finds it awkward and struggles to find the right words.

Episode One (Pilot): Bill's Last Chance - Tony decides he can't take any more and set's Bill a sales target which he much reach by the end of the week or he leaves the shop for good but can Bill really mange the shop on his own?

Bit different to what I've done before but hope you all enjoy it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCn8ZYhkl4o

Any chance of an mp3 download Mr Cotter?

Quote: Leevil @ June 26 2011, 10:04 PM BST

Any chance of an mp3 download Mr Cotter?

Huh? Seriously?

I couldn't be any more seriouser J.C.

Quote: Leevil @ June 26 2011, 10:07 PM BST

I couldn't be any more seriouser J.C.

There you go http://www.jamescotter.co.uk/Change%20The%20Record%20Episode%20One.mp3

Thank you Sir Ja-Jay. I will have a listen later and in return offer you some feedback.

Quote: Leevil @ June 26 2011, 10:21 PM BST

Thank you Sir Ja-Jay. I will have a listen later and in return offer you some feedback.

Sounds like a fair deal.

Is this a parody..?

Positives:

Quite well acted, although still amateur sounding.
Well made.

Negatives:

Even though it's less than 10 minutes, I now hope I NEVER hear "Rockin Pneumonia..." again. Please use a different track for each break, as it's very annoying.

The "Elvis" beginning is ridiculous.

The script. Tony is okay, but Bill is a bad character. His denseness is grating and you feel no sympathy towards him. Why is Tony helping him? How did Bill ever get to own a shop when he is a moron? What exactly IS the shop selling? Are they an old vinyl place? Where will they get money to restock the whole shop?

Your writer needs to swallow his pride and get a co writer.

It's not awful, but it's not really very good or funny, unfortunately. Go and have a listen to the vastly superior "Rudy's Rare Records".

Quote: RedZed333 @ June 26 2011, 10:33 PM BST

Is this a parody..?

No.

Quote: Lady Laughter @ June 27 2011, 1:10 AM BST

Positives:

Quite well acted, although still amateur sounding.
Well made.

Negatives:

Even though it's less than 10 minutes, I now hope I NEVER hear "Rockin Pneumonia..." again. Please use a different track for each break, as it's very annoying.

The "Elvis" beginning is ridiculous.

The script. Tony is okay, but Bill is a bad character. His denseness is grating and you feel no sympathy towards him. Why is Tony helping him? How did Bill ever get to own a shop when he is a moron? What exactly IS the shop selling? Are they an old vinyl place? Where will they get money to restock the whole shop?

Your writer needs to swallow his pride and get a co writer.

It's not awful, but it's not really very good or funny, unfortunately. Go and have a listen to the vastly superior "Rudy's Rare Records".

Thanks for your review. How do you mean amateur but well acted?

The music was something I worried about too but to be fair this pilot is structured different to rest of the series as all other episodes have less scenes which are longer so the music breaks will be a lot less frequent.

Most of those questions get answered in episode two. You feel for Bill more as the series goes and Tony becomes more callous towards him. Bill inherited the shop but Tony really runs it. There selling records, an independent record shop.

James with out listening.

If the whole of the story isn't in each episode.

Then you've failed.

Quote: sootyj @ June 27 2011, 11:28 AM BST

James with out listening.

If the whole of the story isn't in each episode.

Then you've failed.

The story is there but with each episode develops.

I meant that it sounds like good amateur dramatics, but in the end still on the amateur end of the scale. You are pretty good, but the other two not so much. My real problem is that I didn't laugh, I suppose.

The first 2 seconds of the opening piano jangle sound similar to the opening seconds of the Minder theme tune. I am pleased there is a new Cotter project.