Lennon or McCartney?

The Beatles being unquestionably the greatest pop/rock band ever, what are people's views here on the great Lennon or McCartney question? In their most celebrated period, the 2nd half of their great career, the difference between their roles and their sounds became very evident. Much has been written and speculated about their failing relationship and the real tensions that appeared between them.

Even though they admirably kept to their agreement to always use Lennon/McCartney on their own songs, it is easy to go through the last few albums and pick out the Lennon songs and the McCartney songs.

So who do you root for here? Who was the greatest Beatle? Not who was your favourite Beatle, but who would you genuinely, hand on heart say was the greatest influence within the band or the man who gave them their best sound or best songs or best hits or best albums or best period. (So it has to be either Lennon or Macca).

The debate's always intrigued me, it's a very complex one to sort out, because they went through several classic Beatles sounds over a short time. The consensus has usually pretty firmly beenin the Lennon camp, overall as being the most influential or giving them the best sound or material.

As much as I love Lennon I myself have always been in the McCartney camp. I feel he's been unfairly overlooked by the madness of the Lennon legend among his fans. Yes Lennon was a genius probably, a supreme song writer and performer who definitely gave the early Beatles their most distinctive sound. BUT, in the really creative period they are most famous for, it is McCartney who outshone Lennon, IMO. For some others (Lennon fans) it was still Lennon, but personally I rate Macca's latter career influence as the most important.

On the albums talked about most, Sgt. Peppers, White Album, Abbey Road, Paul wins it fairly comfortably on influence and contribution. That is mainly my reason for saying Paul, but also that he was under rated at the time, his musical ability was always the equal of Lennon's, very probably better, and while his singing is generally rated 2nd to John's, I actually prefer it, it's fantastic, especially on the later album songs where he took more of a lead.

So, I'll stop waffling and let people make their choices, preferably giving reasons.

I like them both equally. We Can Work It Out and Tomorrow Never Knows are very different, but both magnificent music. I probably prefer Lennon's solo material though.

Like a lot of great bands, it was probably the tensions between them that made them great.

Lennon if I had to choose.

But Paul seems a lot less poncey.

Yes you can say equal if you like, a draw is a very fair result in my eyes. I'd probably say it was a draw myself, if it wasn't for the madness of the Lennon legend in more recent years particularly, the Gallaghers etc. I'm trying to redress the balance a little, and if I had to pick one, I'd honestly say Paul.

I always like it in the Imagine film where Lennon takes in the vagrant fan he finds in his grounds and gives him lunch.

My mum fancied Paul.

Quote: zooo @ June 25 2011, 11:06 AM BST

My mum fancied Paul.

My mother also. The young Paul McCartney looks a bit strange to me though.

He had rubbish hair most of the time.

Quote: zooo @ June 25 2011, 11:08 AM BST

He had rubbish hair most of the time.

Maybe he needed a lace front wig?

Lennon always got on my nerves a bit with his bed protests with Yoko.

Quote: Ben @ June 25 2011, 11:09 AM BST

Maybe he needed a lace front wig?

:D

Quote: chipolata @ June 25 2011, 11:11 AM BST

Lennon always got on my nerves a bit with his bed protests with Yoko.

Yes, all that pretentious stuff was a bit annoying.
Although if I'd been around then I might have liked it. Who knows.

Mind you, Paul and Linda were quite annoying with their veggie obsession.

Very true.

I choose Ringo.