Lee Mack's All Star Cast

First of all, are we all in agreement that this thread is the right forum?

So, what do we think this is going to be like? I reckon it's going to be awesome (especially with Mack at the helm), but I can see how some people might think it's another crappy comedy/music Saturday night thing.

What (little) I've heard hasn't filled me with masses of hope, but Lee Mack is great so I've very much got my fingers crossed...

Yes, I have to confess that I wouldn't be as inclined to watch this if it weren't for Lee Mack.

Huh?

I think it will be typical Mack. He was on The One Show last night talking about it. We need a good variety show (old git!).

Hmm

This will be either okay, or absolute dogshit.

Lee is a very quick-witted man, so I'm sure he'll be able to raise at least a few laughs. Indeed, all the reviews seem to be inanimous that he's carrying the format.

I gather the content itself is:

a. Comedy sketches involving the guest 'celebs' and members of the audience. This'll depend on the calibre of those, for sure, and they're making some odd choices there - Tess Daly? Shane Richie? Hmm. Lee and David can generally save an episode of WILTY when it's floundering on account of some poor guests, so it'll be interesting to see if he can do the same on his own.

b. Celebrity interviews. Again, depends on the guests, but has much less of a chance to go wrong.

c. Stand-up comedy. The choice of comedian guests looks better here - Frank Skinner, Milton Jones. Good stuff.

d. Music. I know nothing about music.

I'll watch this as I like Lee Mack, but I do fear it won't quite work.

I really hope this is going to be good, as I think Lee's great.

But I do have a sneaky suspicion that the Beeb have noticed how good Not Going Out is, have commissioned two more series and said to themselves, "Quick, people seem to like him, put him in something else!!!"

It sounds good apart from the 'involving the public' bit.

Quote: TopBanana @ June 18 2011, 6:21 PM BST

It sounds good apart from the 'involving the public' bit.

Depends on the character of the public persons. If they jump right into it they are probably going to be very poor (with exception of course).

Typing down running thoughts throughout the show...

Hmm. Thus far this is just the Graham Norton Show with Lee Mack, isn't it? Right down to the monologue of autocue jokes.

Now the guests are on it's not bad.

The set for these interviews has been poorly thought out. He shouldn't be behind the desk, he should be on the sofa - then again, it might make the similarities with Graham Norton even more pronounced.

Still, thus far not bad. Interviewing is OK.

A few smiles. Lee is reasonably on the ball, as is Frank for that matter.

Ooh, bit of a dodgy jump-cut there...

Direction of this bit with Stewart Francis is awful, but he's delivering the goods as always. Seems to be quite a bit of new material, too.

Oh. Was that it? Cut a bit short.

Why was he standing in the middle of the set there? Why not just stay seated?

Not so sure about this bit. Not awful but seems to be falling flat a bit.

Picking up a bit now. Have to concur with the press, Lee is holding all this together.

Ah, sketches. Despite Tess Daly, this is OK.

Yes, this is all very Not Going Out. As many puns shoehorned into a scene set into a flat as possible.

James Blunt took the "cockney rhyming slang" bit well.

The audience participation bit isn't working so well but I guess they're stuck with it now.

Yeah, basically "The Graham Norton Show with Lee Mack". As expected Lee did well. Engaging for the duration, and hopefully they'll make tweaks in the future episodes.

Take out Lee Mack and you got a shit show...

Put him back and you got a shit show with Lee Mack in it...

Rather ironic it started with Skinner on the show, didn't he once host a similar style flop...?

Only good bits were the sketch and Fern Britton flashing her cameltoe when uncrossing her legs (only available in HD).

Waste of Lee Mack's talent, nevermind, KERCHING..!

I thought Stu Francis was a bit unnecessary. It was similar to Norton's show but a bit less camp.

Lee was on good form and worth a watch.

The Graham Norton comparison is obvious but I was cringeing particularly the Tess Daly bit. Unlikely to watch again.

Saw James Blunt was on so didn't watch.

Jeez