Your top 12 favourite UK sitcoms Page 4

Was a radio show wasn't it?

Yes, and adapted for TV. DVD is available.

Actually, Father Ted should really be in there, so I'll edit again.

If I remember rightly, the radio version of World of Pub was funnier than the TV version. I think this was partly because John Thompson was missing from the TV version.

Quote: ToddB @ June 10 2011, 1:05 PM BST

Absolutely Fabulous
The Vicar of Dibley
Fawlty Towers
Jam and Jerusalem
The Young Ones
Bottom
The Life and Times of Vivian Vyle
The Thick of It
Girls On Top
Happy Families
Getting On
Blackadder

Nice grouping, Todd. Only a couple there that don't have the same people in them. People have food fads so why can't you have sitcom fads, I spose.

Ooh, Jo Brand (on hignfy) has subtly reminded me of another of my favourite, although little known sitcoms, "Getting On". Can't decide which one to bump out of my list so I'll make it a list of 13.

Episode 2 of series 1 was absolute genius, loved the character of Ivy.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 10 2011, 2:01 PM BST

1) Wisdom's Claw
2) Hattie's Sledge
3) The Burglar and the Cock
4) Bandwidth Towers
5) The Lemmings
6) The Navy Guff
7) Bumbridge Titties
8) The Alison Piss files
9) The Potato Club
10) Buggering Will
11) The Nice Neighbours
12) Selkirk's Paedo Farm

I don't think I've missed any out.

love all of these classics :D

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 10 2011, 2:01 PM BST

8) The Alison Piss files

I'd class that more as a sketch show

And 12 sounds like an actual episode of Panorama.

:D

Quote: shaggy292 @ June 10 2011, 1:57 PM BST

Sorry - I really have to take issue with you on this, "Martin". How is it NOT a sitcom? Because there's a lot of gags? God forbid. And they're not 'extras' - if you're referring to Sally Bretton, Miranda Hart and Katy Wix they're supporting characters. What does 'quietness of the show format' mean? And it isn't 'canned laughter'. It was filmed in front of an audience. Totally unbelievable plot? It's a COMEDY. It's meant to exaggerate things for comic effect.

Dear "Shaggy",

Yes you are right, Not Going Out is a sitcom and has all the right credentials for a 1970s based sitcom. However, are you satisfied with this tired old formula? I understand that there are certain rules to a sitcom but after watching The Office and Peep Show and even The Young Ones, there is something lacking in this show. It lacks atmosphere and relies heavily on quick fire gags.

My biggest criticism is that the main character should emit some sympathy with the audience. For example Basil Fawlty, Harold Steptoe, David Brent. Lee Mack's character is too smart, cocky, clever and doesn't have any flaws. Yet if he is so wonderful and quick and clever why is he in this position? That's why I thought that the plot was unbelievable. Yes I know it's a sitcom but it has to be credible to a certain extent for characters to be believable.

Wrong thread, mate.

If you want to discuss NGO in more detail, go to the NGO thread.

Actually, I'm not sure you've watched it at all if you think Lee is smart, clever, and doesn't have any flaws. Huh?

And maybe some of us like tired old formulas that rely heavily on gags.

But uh, yeah... wrong thread.

It never fails to fascinate me, just the extreme differences in how different people can read the same show.

Quote: Lassoon @ June 12 2011, 12:58 AM BST

Wrong thread, mate.

If you want to discuss NGO in more detail, go to the NGO thread.

Actually, I'm not sure you've watched it at all if you think Lee is smart, clever, and doesn't have any flaws. Huh?

And maybe some of us like tired old formulas that rely heavily on gags.

But uh, yeah... wrong thread.

Oh please don't give me your wrong thread rubbish. Like I'm in the wrong area, what are you a policeman, or maybe a traffic warden or Jose Feliciano? Vegetable rights and peace! Like you know...wrong thread man...dude...

It's not rubbish; this thread was meant to be for people to list their favourite sitcoms.

If you want to discuss a particular one, go to its own thread.

Sorry Lasso, I will go to the right thread and sorry to bother you.

P.S. What is the right thread ?

Quote: Aaron @ June 12 2011, 1:39 AM BST

It never fails to fascinate me, just the extreme differences in how different people can read the same show.

Yeah you're right, but it's the same as music isn't it? Comedy can bring out the good and bad in all of us. It's only because we care about the comedy genre. Anyway take care. x