In With The Flynns - Series 1 Page 2

I think there's been a few funny lines.

People are saying the show has canned laughter because it's filmed in a way that looks like it shouldn't have a studio audience (like 'Outnumbered') - which is true as though the laughter probably isn't canned - there is no studio audience as the show was screened to an audience instead and the laughs were recorded.

Okay, it's not THAT bad. Better than 'After You've Gone', 'My Family' and 'Life of Riley'. Not great or cutting-edge by any means, but just OK.

Some of the characters were actually likeable as well, unlike the other 'sitcoms' I've mentioned.

On the issue of the laughter, I'm pretty sure that the BBC offered tickets for records or viewings of the show. I imagine that the situation would be similar to a show such ad Big Train. The style of filming with the laughter was something that you have to get used to I think.

I must admit that while this is by far not the best sitcom in the world I did find certain parts funny, thus making it better that most pre-watershed family sitcoms which are often just plain awful IMO.

Well. I can certainly understand from that, where accusations of canned laughter come from. (Although to correct previous posters, it was filmed in front of a live audience, but with an entirely closed, four-walled set. Barmy.)

As zooo said, there were a few funny lines, and I did laugh a couple of times, but ... yeah. It was just all a bit meh.

Quote: johnny smith @ June 8 2011, 8:53 PM BST

People are saying the show has canned laughter because it's filmed in a way that looks like it shouldn't have a studio audience (like 'Outnumbered') - which is true as though the laughter probably isn't canned - there is no studio audience as the show was screened to an audience instead and the laughs were recorded.

Laughing out loud Ha ha ha. Just to clarify the crystal clear waters of the never ending canned laughter?/studio audience? debate. I bet the BBC have a whole floor at BH where they store millions of cans of laughter. They cannot hide the truth!

As for the show, I have no interest in another American written formulafamcom. The original it's based on didn't do too well in the US. I'd like to know why we're even bothering with such another, when we have good scripts piling up in trays in BH, because (whispers) they are from people they don't know :O . Can't have any of that!

I thought this was pretty good for what it was - a BBC sitcom genetically modified to not offend anyone.

Will Mellor is pretty underrated in my opinion. He makes something of every line he gets. Lots of work there on his part. Great to see Warren Clarke too.

It may not be canned laughter in the same way that it is on Britain's Funniets Kids/Animals, etc. But I imagine they would insert a few bits of laughter from an earlier funny moment in the show and stick it after a gag which didn't go down so well.

Not 'canned laughter' in the old sense, but definitely a bit of TV trickery.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, BTW.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 9 2011, 12:25 AM BST

I thought this was pretty good for what it was - a BBC sitcom genetically modified to not offend anyone.

Will Mellor is pretty underrated in my opinion. He makes something of every line he gets. Lots of work there on his part. Great to see Warren Clarke too.

Ok, Will Mellor is good.

But otherwise you dislike Lead Balloon and New Who, but like this dated bummage.

Godot do you wear your pants on your head?

Quote: sootyj @ June 11 2011, 6:17 PM BST

Ok, Will Mellor is good.

But otherwise you dislike Lead Balloon and New Who, but like this dated bummage.

Godot do you wear your pants on your head?

You misunderstand me Sooty. I review the programme for what it is, not what it could be. This is trying to be a please-all BBC One sitcom with no edge or darky silky lining. As such it was pretty well done.

The other programmes you mentioned are both slightly pretentious and fail to succeed on the terms they set themselves.

He's excellent in White Van Man, which along with Ideal must be the best 2 sitcoms on telly at the mo.

Agree with 'Taxis here: it certainly wasn't as bad as I expected it.

It's a bit clunky but expect that to be ironed out in the rest of the series. There was enough to watch again.

Will Mellor is an excellent comic actor. I thought he was okay before but in White Van Man he's pitch-perfect and his delivery in this was spot-on too. Expecting more of Craig Parkinson but there is a potential for some very good banter between the two of them.

Dan

I'll definitely give this time to bed in cos I think it could be pretty good. Not blow-you-away fantastic or anything, but I think it'll get better as it goes along. It's got all the ingredients in terms of characters and actors (though maybe cut down on the kids lines? Kids are never that good in comedy unless it's 'You've been Framed' and they're falling off swings).

I think Daniel Peak's a very good comedy writer who just needs the ideal platform to hit his stride. This could be it.

Quote: swerytd @ June 12 2011, 8:20 PM BST

Will Mellor is an excellent comic actor. I thought he was okay before but in White Van Man he's pitch-perfect and his delivery in this was spot-on too.

For a white van man you don't expect spot-on delivery.

Zing!

Dan