Candy Cabs Page 6

Hi Angie,

Sorry, not ignoring your reply. just out most of Saturday pm and Sunday. Can we agree to disagree?
My reading of the column was that Grace had put her tongue firmly in her cheek and was saying that she was fed up with such a tired and cliche ridden script which meant that all women are obsessed by pedicures and pink.
If you weren't happy with what she wrote then it's not difficult to sign up for comment is free and the columnists do read responses. Certainly I've had several direct replies if I manage to push buttons.

I would also query the need for the women to have to do so much in their underwear. Another admission that the the script is seen as a womens' show and that the writing is too weak to get men to watch except on the basis as pointed out by Aaron.

I think the women-in-their-undies bits are less an attempt to attract men and more a stab at achieving a cheeky earthy charm. The idea that men are going to tune in on the off chance of seeing some women in their pants is pretty patronising.

Quote: AngieBaby @ April 10 2011, 7:29 PM BST

I don't know what a CIF is.

This line annoyed me 'grandest ambition is "pamper time" with "a glass of bubbles" and "some nibbles".

I have worked with plenty of shrewd business women who love pink. The columnist seems to suggest that you can't be girly and succesful.

I thought it was Grace's first decent column outside of World of Lather. I think she neatly skewers the boring and rather depressing "he he we're all girly" snd "ooh I'm such a big ditz" world of pink princess cliches.

As exemplified by those awful Boots adverts.

Nothing wrong with liking pink, But this is as tiresome as all the new lad malarkey and Wkd advert crap.

:P Hooray!

Also saying "I'm no feminist" is along with "I don't vote" one of those depressing 21st century expressions I wish would go away.

If you expect to get paid the same as a male colleague, keep your job after maternity leave, get a divorce and 1,000 other things, then you are a feminist.

Quote: dellas @ April 11 2011, 3:16 AM BST

;) Yes Aaron, not sexist at all, regarding my comments as nonsense when I pick up on discrimination on TV.

You're right, it's not.

And could you define 'discrimination'?

Quote: chipolata @ April 11 2011, 8:03 AM BST

I think the women-in-their-undies bits are less an attempt to attract men and more a stab at achieving a cheeky earthy charm. The idea that men are going to tune in on the off chance of seeing some women in their pants is pretty patronising.

Exactly. 20 years ago, before the internet and the growth of new media, knowing a show featured breasts would get guys watching in their droves. I don't think any man would nowadays tune in to a show specifically just to see a bit of flesh.

Quote: Griff @ April 12 2011, 10:53 PM BST

Apparently my mother-in-law who is nearly 70 loves this show. As that's BBC1's core audience (i.e confused coffin-dodgers who aren't quite senile enough for ITV3) that must mean they're getting it right.

It skewed relatively young for BBC One. The majority of viewers last week were under the age of 54. 65% of viewers were female too.

Apparently the previous similar show was called Rides. I remember it vaguely but not the title.

Quote: Aaron @ April 11 2011, 12:47 AM BST

It is, yes. And more than that; it takes on average about 3 years to complete The Knowledge, not 24 hours revision from a useful handbook.

And the Knowledge took Jack Rosenthal more than 24 hours to write.

Quote: chipolata @ April 8 2011, 3:20 PM BST

If anything. This series seems aimed at women. Northern women, since I have a feeling both writers are from the North. Plus a quick internet trawl has a comment from Commissioning Head of Comedy, Cheryl Taylor saying:

"We're delighted to be on board with the girls from Candy Cabs. The series has a wonderful cast, warm and witty writing and a sparkling seaside setting brimming with Northern soul. We look forward to three nights of emotional and dramatic fun with these lovely ladies."

Should be write up your street then, dellas. Being a Northern woman and all. ;)

Angry Angry Northern woman says 'Kiss my arse'!

Angry Northern woman needs to watch the show she's commenting on so vociferously!

Quote: Aaron @ April 13 2011, 9:28 PM BST

Angry Northern woman needs to watch the show she's commenting on so vociferously!

Rolling eyes OK Aaron, fed up now of your constant denial: I watch the programmes I comment on. Here goes, maybe a spelling or grammar error.

If 'Candy Cabs' is meant to make women feel empowered, I think it fails on many levels.
Why is everything pink? Cabs, clothes, lippy, all terribly cliched and bimbo-ish.

If a group of intelligent females started a taxi business, surely they have researched basics, and prepared for 'The Knowledge' and requisite permits?

That they have to then to be rescued by a 'leery oaf' is amazing.

The gratuitous underwear scenes are reminiscent of 'Carry On Cabby' circa 1960.

I totally despair that in 2011 writers are churning out this rubbish!

A strong Northen comedy for women, NO, where are the emancipated characters?

Please don't expect me to believe that any one of these even has a full licence
let alone a brain.

I bet the lead woman with 'big tits' gets off with a 'helpful' bloke.

Sorry, I despair. This was potentially a great idea, but poorly executed.

We need really good heroines on TV - I'll look elsewhere.