The Thick Of It - Series 4 Page 9

Quote: SimonWing @ September 27 2012, 1:17 AM BST

- The 'Mr Tickle' thing seemed like some kind of in-joke of the writers that they weren't letting the viewer in on. From watching Episode #3 four times, I have managed to gather that he is some kind of homeless nurse, making some kind of protest by living in a tent.

Yup, I think exactly that was established in Ep 1 about Tickle. And that's it.

Quote: Feeoree @ September 27 2012, 8:07 PM BST

Yup, I think exactly that was established in Ep 1 about Tickle. And that's it.

I watched #3 with my parents (who are big ITTOI fans, and watching the episode for the first time).

They were like "Who is this Tickel? Was he in an earlier episode?"

For a show of this quality, they have really not explained the Mr Tickel thing properly at all. Especially considering he seems to be the keystone of the whole series.

I remember them mentioning his name loads in previous episodes, but I never quite caught who or what he was, as they talked so fast. It really is a show I would have to watch several times to get everything.

Phil: "That's probably illegal".

Lib Dem fella: "If you want to see 'probably illegal' pass me that f**king stapler!"

It's still the most quotable show on TV IMHO

In retrospect they should have made Mr Tickle the main storyline in the first episodem, rather than the App Launch. That way we'd have all known who the f**k he is.

I literally only remember his mention in episode one because I thought they were talking about a nurse involved in occupy (tent, protest, lead me there). Thought, hmmm, that's a random thing to put in, then re-watched and realised he was protesting aomething else, Mannion his target.

I had him in the same category as the constituent with the wall in the movie.

Armando Iannucci talks enthusiastically about flattering the audience, which is presumably what was attempted with the Tickle thing, by trying to reward the attentive viewer by using as little exposition as possible. Looks like he took it too far this time, though.

It's not quite working for me, this, with entire episodes dedicated to particular parties. Now that we know all the characters I'd like to see both sides highlighted more.

Funnily enough, I much prefer the Conservative dynamic; the second episode was sadly quite dull in my opinion.

Quote: Nogget @ September 28 2012, 2:22 PM BST

Armando Iannucci talks enthusiastically about flattering the audience, which is presumably what was attempted with the Tickle thing, by trying to reward the attentive viewer by using as little exposition as possible. Looks like he took it too far this time, though.

I rather get the impression he's barely been involved with this series at all.

Looking forward to seeing the utterly useless John Duggan (Miles Jupp) again tonight, "depriving a village of a twat".

Quote: Aaron @ September 28 2012, 6:15 PM BST

I rather get the impression he's barely been involved with this series at all.

What else is he working on right now?

Quote: Nick @ September 29 2012, 2:19 PM BST

I think he's touring his cricket book.

He was writing Veep wasn't he? No idea whether there was an overlap or not.

Quote: Nick @ September 29 2012, 2:19 PM BST

sorry thought you were talking about Miles Jupp. Got manflue. Driving my wife up the wall. Will go and lie down and stroke cleo the cat. And that is not a euphemism I am a Bond villain.