Why do Comedians become straight actors? Page 4

I think often they have to because their comedy's too dated. Robin Williams should give up on being funny, especially since he's a talented actor.

I think De Niro proves being a good actor doesn't mean you can be funny (as does Williams).

Also, I'm sure there's more talent in comedy than in music, pop music at least, at least comedians write their own stuff most of the time.

I was wondering about this last night as I watched Chris O'Dowd in The Crimson Petal and the White. A good accent, he was capable enough, but well, he still seemed to be that bloke off the IT Crowd.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ April 7 2011, 12:18 PM BST

I was wondering about this last night as I watched Chris O'Dowd in The Crimson Petal and the White. A good accent, he was capable enough, but well, he still seemed to be that bloke off the IT Crowd.

He'd grown on me by the end. But his face is far too modern for period stuff.

O'Dowd isn't a comedian, he's an actor who has appeared in a lot of comedies.

MONEY!!! Also because for many performers dramatic acting is easier than making people laugh. I understand that is a massive generalisation - as Powell and Byrne's 'Writing Sitcoms points out, stand-ups often have difficulty adapting to the script and other actors in sitcoms - but it's one of the tired ironies of comedy that it's harder than tragedy.

Comedy isn't easy. If you've ever had one of Shakespeare's jokes explained to you at length then you'll know what I mean. It's not an easy option to writer or perform comedy, if anything I think it's a good deal harder than straight drama. Many straight actors (fnarr) cannot play comedy and many writers would struggle to build a joke.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ April 8 2011, 10:11 AM BST

Comedy isn't easy. If you've ever had one of Shakespeare's jokes explained to you at length then you'll know what I mean. It's not an easy option to writer or perform comedy, if anything I think it's a good deal harder than straight drama. Many straight actors (fnarr) cannot play comedy and many writers would struggle to build a joke.

Sure, I once wrote an artcle about this very topic http://www.chortle.co.uk/correspondents/2008/08/18/7248/take_comedy_seriously