Why do Comedians become straight actors?

Bradley Walsh now thinks his an actor rather than a comedian he said so, his given up on comedy, Jack Dee who isn't funny, Bobby Davro alright im at the bottom of the barrel now, he ended up in EastEnders ironically that was unintentionally funny.

Comedians like to have a series role on their CV and some have a good hit rate in dramatic parts (compared to pop stars for example).
Bradley Walsh's copper in Law and Order UK is the best thing in it and Shane Richie's Alfie Moon was a ground breaking character of EastEnders as he isn't depressed (mind you to make EEs worse would take some doing).
Two of the best pieces of work Jerry Lewis ever did were not remotely comic parts in King of Comedy and Funny Bones.
Also remember being very moved by Danny Kaye as holocaust survivor in a worthy TV movie from the mid 80s called Once they Marched Through a Thousand Towns.

Money

I think Bradley Walsh is a fantastic actor. He is totally believable in Law and order (1st series and this one) And he was great as Mike Baldwins nephew in Corrie.
Julian Clary was atrocious in anything where he had to act.

I suppose good comedians have already learned the art of expert timing which can only help with acting.

Standup is a performance art. To make the same jokes funny night afetr night you've got to be able to act. One of the first things standups try to learn is how to make scripted sets seem like they're being said off the cuff.

To broaden their horizens.

Not all comics can move from one genre to another but those that have like Bob Monkhouse, Norman Wisdom and Max wall manage the crossover seamlessly to turn in brilliant and believable dramatic parts.

They go where the work is. Bradley Walsh, for example, was never one of the cooler comic actors so was probably offered less parts than the cliquey comic in crowd (Pegg, etc). He reinvents himself as a serious actor and suddenly has more roles to choose from.

People are allowed more than one career or ambition, aren't they?

Quote: zooo @ March 16 2011, 5:56 PM GMT

People are allowed more than one career or ambition, aren't they?

Jack Of-All-Trades certainly is.

And Ronnie Barker was the opposite

He was a straight actor who was thrown into comedy. And according to his autobiography, he didn't like it one bit.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ March 16 2011, 6:17 PM GMT

And Ronnie Barker was the opposite

He was a straight actor who was thrown into comedy. And according to his autobiography, he didn't like it one bit.

Poor lamb.

Because Tom Hanks.

I find it difficult to take Bradley Walsh seriously as his still doing 'odd one out' and then serious acting, for me its like replacing an actor in a soap you've got used to then they swap him out with a lad 6 years older, im like what the fack, Brian Connelly is another one I actually think his really funny its his mannerisms but he just can't wait to sing those bloody show tunes.

I get those two mixed up constantly.