Back to Class (Radio Series) Page 2

I really like Mark's voice. I think it's distinctive and stands out.

I could not understand all the words, James -sorry but the accent was a bit forced- needs more nuance to be believable and this was a bit shouty. The SFX are a wee bit too loud and compete with the dialogue and the background sounds like an outdoor cafe so I didn't quite grasp where this was taking place.

The biggest issue though was that it was WAY too long, especially when I couldn't understand Rodgers.....Dan Pearce sounded like he was reading straight off the page.
But you worked hard on this production and overall it had good sound quality.

I commend you for your generous donation for comic relief. Well done. Keep at it James, I admire your tenacity if anything.

-Win

I've listened to it a few times today and of course I'm going to be biased but I can't hear what bit you couldn't understand. The first scene is set in the college corridor, the second scene is in the staff room and the third is out on the street. Shouty? Mark does shout at the beginning of the third scene but apart from being a general forceful speaker he doesn't shout in any other bit apart from "how's that" on the phone but for the joke to work I've got to shout. Thank you for the feedback but I would be interested to know what bits are inaudible.

Quote: James Cotter @ March 11 2011, 12:51 PM GMT

I've listened to it a few times today and of course I'm going to be biased but I can't hear what bit you couldn't understand. The first scene is set in the college corridor, the second scene is in the staff room and the third is out on the street. Shouty? Mark does shout at the beginning of the third scene but apart from being a general forceful speaker he doesn't shout in any other bit apart from "how's that" on the phone but for the joke to work I've got to shout. Thank you for the feedback but I would be interested to know what bits are inaudible.

Did you listen to it on YouTube James, that's going to cost you you know!

Quote: Marc P @ March 11 2011, 12:55 PM GMT

Did you listen to it on YouTube James, that's going to cost you you know!

I did actually but I don't mind it's only 30p.

Quote: James Cotter @ March 11 2011, 12:51 PM GMT

I've listened to it a few times today and of course I'm going to be biased but I can't hear what bit you couldn't understand.

That's because you know the script. Laughing out loud

Quote: Leevil @ March 11 2011, 1:01 PM GMT

That's because you know the script. Laughing out loud

I said I'm not going to be objective about it but I have listened to again and again I can't see what bits you can't understand unless you have it on a very low volume and in that case it has nothing to do with me.

James objective subjectiveness is the key to success.

I agree Marc but I really want to improve on anything I can for the future.

I couldn't understand most of what the first voice was saying (all the way through the piece). Due to the accent. Not the sound quality per se, or volume.

James, maybe you need a third party editor? A real subjective input. It's great that you perform, edit and produce all your own material but maybe you're stretching yourself a little too far?

Seriously!? I'm not just being defensive here because if it was a point about the comedy or about the characters then I might agree deepening on the point but every person who has listened to it apart from a few on here haven't said a thing about it that's why I can't understand it.

Quote: Leevil @ March 11 2011, 1:23 PM GMT

James, maybe you need a third party editor? A real subjective input. It's great that you perform, edit and produce all your own material but maybe you're stretching yourself a little too far?

In what respect?

Quote: James Cotter @ March 11 2011, 1:02 PM GMT

I said I'm not going to be objective about it but I have listened to again and again I can't see what bits you can't understand unless you have it on a very low volume and in that case it has nothing to do with me.

Volume is up my ears are fine except on Tuesdays.

There are words throughout the script that are lost in the accent. Maybe 'shouty' wasn't the right adjective.....maybe I meant 'forced' and somewhat lacking in nuance as I mentioned before. Perhaps the words get garbled because you are trying too hard on the accent. Remember if people can't hear or understand what is being said, they won't watch or listen....keep that in mind if you ever want to sell your work. So far several people have said they struggled to understand- a producer wouldn't get that far!

btw, in the beginning I thought there was more than one "mockney" having a conversation because of slight intonation changes.... the background SFX in the first scene sound like an outdoor setting rather than an indoor one.

Quote: James Cotter @ March 11 2011, 1:24 PM GMT

In what respect?

In the respect that I mentioned. Because it is YOU talking/acting and YOU know the script, YOU may not be able to pick up any mistakes in audio as much as someone else would. Your brain will be making shorter connections because it already knows what it is listening too.

Quote: James Cotter @ March 11 2011, 1:24 PM GMT

Seriously!? I'm not just being defensive here because if it was a point about the comedy or about the characters then I might agree deepening on the point but every person who has listened to it apart from a few on here haven't said a thing about it that's why I can't understand it.

Are they your mates, or uninvolved parties like us?

I'd say drop the accent, personally.
But of course if the majority genuinely had no problem understanding the voice then it's up to you.