Attack The Block Page 2

Quote: Ben @ May 29 2011, 8:31 PM BST

I've seen a lot of very average reviews from the critics

But the critics are just people too. I don't think there's a conspiracy against it. Just some people find it a bit so-so.

Great acting, good movie

I hated this film, characters were so forgettable, unlikable with no redeeming qualities. I barely laughed through any of it and found myself wanting it to finish through it. For a film with such a talented crew behind it I expected more.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a389163/microsofts-ie9-to-take-over-attack-the-block-ad-break.html

http://www.brandongenerator.com/

Very good film, seen it about 40 times. Definitely up there with 'Shaun' and 'Fuzz' for a monthly/bi-monthly watch. It lived up to the hype in my opinion.

When Cornish was himself mugged, he realised that the muggers were just kids that were as scared as he was. I don't understand why people don't get this in the film? They all seem like little c*nts for the first part of the film, yet when we focus more on them and as the film progresses, we see they are just kids who were bored and don't know any better becuase of their upbringing.

I think it was poorly marketed. It is NOT a comedy-horror, or even a comedy for that matter, Cornish states this in numerous non-promotional interviews. I think it was marketed as such to try and make money from people wanting to see Shaun of the Dead, hence the reason Frost got so much screen time in the trailers. He said in the Film4 Interview tied to this film that he was heavily influenced by Spielberg and big-time directors' debuts, where they bit more than they could chew and that this film is in fact a VERY stylish adventure drama, which is so obviously in the vein of The Goonies. Hence the reason people don't think it's scary or funny. It's only supposed to have funny bits in it like for example Iron Man or Indiana Jones has funny bits in it.

Sorry haha, rant over! :L

Quote: NBDelboy @ June 25 2012, 10:20 PM BST

When Cornish was himself mugged, he realised that the muggers were just kids that were as scared as he was. I don't understand why people don't get this in the film? They all seem like little c*nts for the first part of the film, yet when we focus more on them and as the film progresses, we see they are just kids who were bored?

I've been very bored at times in my life but I've never tried to cure it by robbing people. I don't mind if a writer tries to invoke a bit of sympathy for characters in a book or movie, but if he/she is trying to make a social comment or change the public's perception of dangerous criminals in the real world then he/she can f**k right off.

Obviously, because you aren't a working class British kid with no money at all, that has no support from local authorities or even the government for that matter. You have got to remember, we are talking about KIDS, not fully grown mature adults who know better. It's so obvious that that was NOT what I was trying to say at all. Was clearly stating that Cornballs decided to use his experiences and realisations, in his film, to try and display that these kids aren't bad, they just don't know any better. Moron.

No need to get personal, gentlemen!

I could see what Cornish was trying to say, but I think the kids stayed unsympathetic for too long. I personally only started to sympathise with the main few properly about 10 minutes before the end.

Quote: zooo @ June 25 2012, 10:37 PM BST

I personally only started to sympathise with the main few properly about 10 minutes before the end.

That's the point though! I understand what you mean, they DID stay unsympathetic for quite a bit. But I think this was deliberate, so that both the characters and the audience could realise that it was these horrible children that needed to step up and be the heros!

Quote: NBDelboy @ June 25 2012, 10:34 PM BST

Moron.

Well, aren't you a polite one.

Sorry, but kids do know that robbing and stealing and threatening violence are wrong and people who do so are bad. Any moron knows that.

Maybe you shouldn't have been so rude in your reply. Any narrow minded prick can assume that working class kids brought up with no money whatsoever that live in a rough neighbourhood know better than to mug people.

We're just discussing a film here, remember. There's really no need for us to be calling each other names.

Quote: zooo @ June 25 2012, 10:54 PM BST

We're just discussing a film here...

I was going to mention that in my next reply haha!!

Quote: zooo @ June 25 2012, 10:54 PM BST

...There's really no need for us to be calling each other names.

Apologies moderators (not sarcasm), it just angers me when people pretend they know what they're talking about. Especially (I'm assuming) an American talking about British working class youth. I'm not saying it's ok what they do, but they should not be judged when there is no one willing to help and support them.

Anyway! Back to the film! :)

The kids did know better. Cornish illustrated that by showing how innocent they acted towards their parents. "No, promise gran, in by 10" and all that bollocks. They were criminals, simple as. There's a good argument that he's trying to show that they have the potential to be more, but saying they were merely bored is a tedious excuse for law-breaking.

I did like the Nick Frost character. I was expecting him to be in it more, actually.