Best comedy not in English

I thought it would be interesting to see which comedies people like which are not in English.

This idea came to me after I had a word with Mark about why we don't have any comedies on the guide broadcast on S4C, because while this is an English-language website English is not the only language spoken in Britain, and there are comedies in Welsh. Examples include the football-based sitcom C'mon Midffild.

What is more, nearly all the comedy we get from abroad comes from the USA, most foreign stand-ups who perform in the UK are either American, Canadian, Irish or Australian, and those stand-ups who come from non-English speaking countries tend to perform in English (e.g. Henning Wehn and Hans Teeuwen).

So, I thought it would be interesting to see how many people what comedies that are not in English. It can be in any other language (French, German, Welsh, etc.), can be of any medium (TV, radio, film, internet, book, etc.) and of any comedy genre (sitcom, sketch, satire, comedy drama, etc.).

My personal favourite is in Japanese. It is an Japanese animation or anime called Gurren Lagann, which is a sort of post-apocalyptic comedy drama. The story itself is described as the tale of one boy's destiny. In reality it is about huge robots and very, very, very big drills.

The humour in it is probably best described as being in a Carry On style. At one point the main female character, Yoko, has her bikini fly off her Barbara Windsor style.

The reason I like this series so much is that is so brilliantly and ridiculously over-the-top. It's full these bombastic quotes like: "Do not believe in yourself! Believe in me that believes in you!"

You could well have a scene in which there is a huge battle, and there is chaos, pain, destruction, panic and death, and all while this is going on, there is a little furry animal seeking refuge from the madness... by hiding in a huge pair of tits. All you need is Sid James laughing at it and it's complete.

I enjoyed that German show that Finck made subtitles for a few episodes of. Can't for the life of me recall what it was called, mind.

Johnny Stecchino with Roberto Benigni in which a buffoon holidays in Scicily only to find out he's a deadringer for a mafia don (later redone for Only Fools and Horses TV film).

Very funny scene in which he is told coke is diabetic medicine and does a line for a cardinal at a posh do.

Ein Herz und eine Seele is a decent German sitcom from the '70s; might have been a remake of Till Death Us Do Part, not sure.

Rab C Nesbitt.

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday, though its virtually a silent film, but with noises and burbling conversation.

Jamais 2 sans toi is a delightful little French sitcom, which comes with my full approval.

Quote: Baumski @ February 2 2011, 3:50 PM GMT

Rab C Nesbitt.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: youngian @ February 2 2011, 1:01 PM GMT

Johnny Stecchino with Roberto Benigni in which a buffoon holidays in Scicily only to find out he's a deadringer for a mafia don (later redone for Only Fools and Horses TV film).

Probably a coincidence, as they were both made in 1991. The common theme of "average idiot is a dead ringer for mobster boss/escaped convict" was also used in a 1974 smutty Australian comedy called Alvin Rides Again.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 1 2011, 7:12 PM GMT

I thought it would be interesting to see which comedies people like which are not in English.

French writer/director Francis Veber has made some excellent films, though his latest aren't his greatest.

Quote: sidecar jon @ February 2 2011, 6:18 PM GMT

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday, though its virtually a silent film, but with noises and burbling conversation.

This.

As Mr Bean is very short on dialogue and there's a Mr Bean's Holiday (and it's in France) I'm sure Jacque Tati was a major inspiration. Well worth watching...

Quote: Tuumble @ February 3 2011, 2:02 PM GMT

This.

As Mr Bean is very short on dialogue and there's a Mr Bean's Holiday (and it's in France) I'm sure Jacque Tati was a major inspiration. Well worth watching...

I will look out for it, but sadly Mr Bean makes my skin crawl!

Quote: Aaron @ February 1 2011, 7:19 PM GMT

I enjoyed that German show that Finck made subtitles for a few episodes of. Can't for the life of me recall what it was called, mind.

Turkish For Beginners. It was brilliant.

Quote: Anorak @ February 4 2011, 8:33 PM GMT

Turkish For Beginners. It was brilliant.

That's the one! It really was. I do wish she'd done more for us. So very funny.

Was it really her who had done the translating? Out of love for the show? Incredibly professional job.

Yep, it was. Really well done.