Bob's Burgers Page 3

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 25 2011, 3:18 PM GMT

Nevertheless some people enjoy it.

I'm not taking sides,

but I do always find the taxi man's posts entertaining. He's a rough diamond :)

Good . . ?

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 25 2011, 1:10 PM GMT

*puts Will Cam in sleeper hold*

Why mention anything?

Laughing out loud

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 25 2011, 1:51 PM GMT

Um, no. Works for the show and looks fine to me. And millions of others, I assume.

Me too! Two down, 1,999,998 to go. See how we work to satisfy your every knee-jerk, Mr Taxi?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 25 2011, 2:22 PM GMT

('They're different') but that doesn't make them good. They add nothing - the Simpsons has been successful entirely because of it's writing.

I believe the Simpsons was largely commissioned on the back of Matt Groening's excellent Life is Hell comic strip - in the same style. You wouldn't change the style after a successful first series, would you?

Anyway, I'm not sure a 'good' animation style is a big factor in many successful animated comedies, but then let's face it - you're a Disney fan, aren't you?

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 25 2011, 2:59 PM GMT

Isn't there a Simpsons thread for all this? Whistling nnocently

Yeah but this is way more fun.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 25 2011, 2:22 PM GMT

You just don't think about anything for longer than two seconds do you? 'Works for the show'. The show is what it is. It never existed with better drawn characters. They're f**king yellow. They're ugly as f**k. They add nothing. 'Millions of others' Never assume your lazy, thoughtless mindset is reproduced anywhere else a millionfold. No doubt some people love the creepy f**ked Simpson drawings ('They're different') but that doesn't make them good.

What are the good animations in your opinion? With well drawn characters?

Quote: Bomsh @ January 25 2011, 5:30 PM GMT

Me too! Two down, 1,999,998 to go. See how we work to satisfy your every knee-jerk, Mr Taxi?

I believe the Simpsons was largely commissioned on the back of Matt Groening's excellent Life is Hell comic strip - in the same style. You wouldn't change the style after a successful first series, would you?

Anyway, I'm not sure a 'good' animation style is a big factor in many successful animated comedies, but then let's face it - you're a Disney fan, aren't you?

No, I'm not.

And by the way you aren't even at the sending-away-for-the-forms stage of beginning to earn the right to attempt to break my balls, bugnuts.

Quote: chipolata @ January 25 2011, 11:18 PM GMT

I'm not a big animated film watcher any more, but I like Run Wrake, Svjankmayer, Quay Brothers, Jon Kassen, Sylvain Chomet. I don't have a huge problem with the American Dad/Disney/Pixar stuff, it's just bland and a missed opportunity.

Quote: chipolata @ January 25 2011, 11:18 PM GMT

The Simpsons has well-drawn characters.

*looks back through thread*

Oh. I see what you mean.

*escapes thread*

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 26 2011, 12:22 AM GMT

I'm not a big animated film watcher any more, but I like Run Wrake, Svjankmayer, Quay Brothers, Jon Kassen, Sylvain Chomet. I don't have a huge problem with the American Dad/Disney/Pixar stuff, it's just bland and a missed opportunity.

I'm a fan of Svankmajer, Quay Bros and Chomet's work but the first two are too dark for most people's tastes so the style wouldn't be employed in a mainstream animation (not to mention stop-motion just doesn't seem to be used outside aardman animations(to my knowledge!)). It's a case of horses for courses, easily replicated, inoffensive figure drawings prevail when production teams want widespread appeal.

Thanks for drawing my attention to Run Wrake and Jon Kassen, hadn't come across them before. If you haven't already heard of him you might like Jakub Dvorský's style http://amanita-design.net/ I'm a big fan of Machinarium, Samorost and Daymare Town (Flash games). :)

Bob's Burgers, now being broadcast in Australia, received a favorable review in Saturday's newspaper, the upshot being that it's refreshingly different to The Simpsons and Family Guy because the father character isn't a complete imbecile and there's more plot than irrelevant throwaway gags. The quality of art/animation wasn't mentioned. The same edition of the newspaper claimed Big Brother was being enjoyable and witty. It also had an utterly dreary review of Mark Twain's autobiography.

Just caught this on E4. Quality animation, looks like it could be a grower.

It's not bad. Cow with wig was quite funny. Not laugh a minute.

Absolutely dire. Not one memorable or likeable character and it's all performed in a horribly low-key fashion. Like a worse version of Duckman.

Didn't get on with this. Something felt wrong. Might get better, I don't know.

May I recommend Home Movies?