General, General Thread Page 2,711

Oh, yes. I used to envy people who had fancy wallpaper to cover their books with.

Aw, I think some kids still cover their books.

(Why do we actually have to do it?)

Protection? Books then last longer?

Do some kids these days know what a book is?

Many years ago there was a newspaper cartoon of a Mother explaining to her child that books didn't work like that, as he was trying to put it into a VHS player.......not hilarious, but made a point.

Kids are actually the age group that most prefers books to ereaders. Perhaps surprisingly.

eReaders are good for; people who don't like books/reading, people who like to carry lots of books at the same time in a small package, people who hate the smell of books, people who need a text-to-voice feature, people who like gadgets.

I don't think kids like eReaders because they can't throw them on the floor and stand on it and slide their foot so it stretches the cover to ripping point and leave it all folded with "softened" edges.

Quote: Lee @ 9th October 2014, 10:59 AM BST

I don't think kids like eReaders because they can't throw them on the floor and stand on it and slide their foot so it stretches the cover to ripping point and leave it all folded with "softened" edges.

Oh yes they can.

:D

It's now a year since we had a visit from Fantastic Mr. Fox, so, alack, he must be deid.

:(

I haven't been able to get into e-readers. I like gadgets, but I also like physical books. I recently got hold of a 1956 edition of a book that I read as a child (not in the 50s obv) and the look, feel and smell give it so much personality.

As I keep saying, ereaders are the work of Satan.

Quote: Ben @ 10th October 2014, 9:59 PM BST

I haven't been able to get into e-readers. I like gadgets, but I also like physical books. I recently got hold of a 1956 edition of a book that I read as a child (not in the 50s obv) and the look, feel and smell give it so much personality.

I fortunately still have a lot of my childhood books from the 50s, which I read obviously Whistling nnocently at the time :D and love browsing through them, especially as they have the drawings I made of trips to the zoo etc. - (we were so poor we couldn't afford drawing paper :( )

But not so poor you could afford trips to the zoo, you rich bastard, you!

I wish - I think Zoos were 6d to get in, in those days. ;)

I beg your pardon.